Foundation Honors Cancer Victim with Videogame Donations

June 28, 2010 -

After 17-year old Stephen Placencia died in 2008 following a fight with liver cancer, his parents decided to honor his memory by starting a foundation that outfits hospitals with consumer electronics and videogame systems.

The Kick Cancer for Stephen Foundation—the name a nod to the boy’s favorite sport, soccer—donated over $8,500 worth of devices in 2009 to the University of Arizona Oncology Clinic and is working on providing gaming systems for each room (it’s already outfitted eight rooms) at the Diamond Children's Medical Center in Tucson, Arizona.

Stephen’s mom Francie, also the foundation’s President, spoke to the Arizona Daily Star about her work, stating, “This gives them a chance to be kids and not think about being sick, being in the hospital, missing school or anything other than playing the game and enjoying it.”

The foundation is holding a run/walk fundraising event in Tucson on July 4th..

The accompanying image shows a donation from the foundation to the Arizona Oncology Clinic.

Comments

Re: Foundation Honors Cancer Victim with Videogame Donations

They should probably talk to the folks at Penny Arcade and see if they can somehow join their cause or something.

"