WOW Players Get StarCraft II for Free - in South Korea

June 28, 2010 -

If you're a World of Warcraft subscriber you will get StarCraft II for free.. if you live in South Korea. Blizzard's promising RTS sequel is the greatest thing since sliced bread in the region, so the company has decided that WOW faithful deserve a reward. According to an IGN report Blizzard announced the news at a recent StarCraft II event in Seoul, South Korea to the delight of fans. The deal allegedly lasts as long as a player’s World of Warcraft account is active.

Lead producer Chris Sigaty said during the event that the move was "a way of giving something back to such a supportive and skilled community of players."

While this is a kind gesture on Blizzard's part, it is also a very clever way of further driving subscriptions for World of Warcraft. It would be fair to say that the StarCraft franchise enjoys ridiculous levels of popularity in the region, with shows dedicated to the game, multi-million dollar competitions televised on TV and Internet Cafes in the country driven by consumers who want to play.

It's also highly doubtful that a region like North America would get such a deal, but you never know.

Source: IGN UK via VG247

Comments

Re: WOW Players Get StarCraft II for Free - in South Korea

One wonders when Blizzard are going to go ahead and announce "Solar System of Starcraft".

Re: WOW Players Get StarCraft II for Free - in South Korea

"...as long as a player's WoW account is active."

Does this mean you lose access to SCII if your WoW account goes dormant?

Re: WOW Players Get StarCraft II for Free - in South Korea

That seems to be the implication. So, while Blizzard is giving the game away for "free," they'll still be taking in WoW subscriptions to make up for it.

Re: WOW Players Get StarCraft II for Free - in South Korea

In fact, they'll be making sure they don't lose a significant part of their revenue stream for WOW when people switch to SC2.

It is a very clever move on their part.  Personally I'd buy myself a copy of SC2 anyway.  Wouldn't want to get burned should I decide to stop playing WOW.  (If I played WOW and lived in South Korea).

===============