Charity Shuttered for Improper Spending, Some of it on Games

June 30, 2010 -

A charity organization for the homeless has been ordered shut after an investigation into its finances showed that money was not being used to help the disadvantaged, but was instead put towards meals, online purchases, cable TV service and videogames.

Ubiquitous throughout Manhattan, The United Homeless Organization (UHO) charged homeless people $15 to rent a table to be used as a donation center. The homeless were allowed to keep all donations accrued throughout the day (minus the $15 charge). Investigators charge that UHO’s founder Stephen Riley, and its Director, Myra Walker, used the proceeds from the table rentals as a “personal slush fund,” and used the funds to buy a variety of items, including purchases from GameStop.

New York’s Attorney General’s office ordered the organization to close, but AG Andrew Cuomo offered, “This organization's bad behavior should not undermine the public's willingness to donate to legitimate charities.”

Riley, speaking to the New York Times, said, “I feel like a victim.”

A former lawyer for UHO indicated that the charity could not afford to challenge the lawsuit from the AG’s office.

Comments

Re: Charity Shuttered for Improper Spending, Some of it on ...

Why is this even an article? The only mention of games is that part of their spending included purchases at a GameStop. They also spent money on various restaurants, cable, the home shopping network and orders from Weight Watchers but I don't see an article for this on nysra.org.

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm