Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. EMA

July 6, 2010 -

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick admits to being “worried” about the implications a Supreme Court ruling in favor of a California law at the center of Schwarzenegger v. EMA could have on the videogame industry as a whole.

Zelnick told CNBC he believes that “everybody in our business should be really worried about it.”

Other game industry suits worried that the law passing could lead to publishers needing to release multiple copies of a single game in order to satisfy the requirements of individual states. Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello said about such a situation becoming reality, “It will screw us up in a real way,” while Disney Interactive’s Graham Hopper added, “It’s going to make our retailing abilities a nightmare.”

Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, hopes that the SCOTUS ruling will put an end to the drama, stating,, “I think the Supreme Court is looking at it to potentially see if there’s something to it or to put an end to it once and for all.”

Schwarzenegger v. EMA revolves around a California law, originally authored by State Senator Leland Yee, and would make it illegal to rent or sell violent videogames to underage consumers.

Comments

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. EMA

Or all the way down to EC if the politicions decide to attack E games as well to totally destroy the video game industry.

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. EMA

If SCOTUS does rule in favor of this bill I expect the games produced in this country to immediately get dialed back from M to E.

At which point I'll start looking for another career.

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

Because Hollywood and polititions are VERY friendly and often give donations. They don't want to mess up that connection.

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

I'm still wondering why this bill even still lives when anyone of any age can go into a store and buy an "unrated" version of a ton of adult-oriented films.  After all, since they are unrated there is no rating to enforce.  Who will stop the children from getting the unrated versions of all those American Pie movies?

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

Someone who made money off of kids seeing violent movies signed it of course. The governator likely doesn't see the irony, sinceh is likeness was usedi n video games.

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

If this bill is turned into a law, then there is something really wrong with society nowdays. Instead of looking for actual solutions for real issues, they choose to go sideways and tackle stuff they just "believe" is causing the problem.

That´s a very dangerous behaviour for any society, but, as same as the inmigration law in Arizona, is not about delivering a real solution, it´s just to pull out a magic solution and wait for the best.

And of course, the best will never arrive.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

Nowadays?

This has been the pattern for a very long time.   Similar accusations and attempts to restrict were leveled on Shakespeare for instance.. and it did not start there.

Re: Industry Leaders on Schwarzenegger v. ESA

With the way adult media is treated in the USA we would get our games butchered the same that Germany has games. Stores would refuse to sell the games, game developers would tone their games down for retail and everyone would suffer censorship due to "protecting the children." I hope it would be legal to import the uncensored versions from Europe.

Poll