Sales of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Crash

July 16, 2010 -

It’s been a long year already for Tiger Woods and sales figures from his latest Electronic Arts videogame probably aren’t going to provide him much, if any, respite.

Venture Beat notes that, in its first month at retail, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 has sold only 32 percent of what the previous iteration of the game did one year earlier, causing Dean Takahashi to conclude:

The results apparently show that reputation matters in all sorts of businesses, including video games, and that gamers aren’t necessarily blindly devoted to buying certain kinds of games year in and year out.

Tiger is currently battling competitors at St. Andrews in the 2010 British Open Championship.

Comments

Re: Sales of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Crash

If they added the fighting mode as shown in South Park I would buy it.

Re: Sales of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Crash

EA can blame Tiger's PR woes.  EA can blame the Wii.  EA will not mention that it may have something to do with Online Pass, even though this was supposed to be the test game for if consumers would still buy a game using that system.

I know that personally I wanted this game due to the disc golf going online, but Online Pass stopped me from handing them my money for a new copy.

GameDrunk - Celebrating our two greatest passions.

GameDrunk - Celebrating our two greatest passions.

Re: Sales of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Crash

"An EA spokesperson blamed the soft sales on a “number of factors,” including the overall softness of the Wii game market."

And the overall hardness of...

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm