Positech's Harris and Epic's Rein Play Nice

July 19, 2010 -

You may recall the Positech front man Cliff Harris called Epic VP Mark Rein a jerk and told him to f**k off. This week things seemed to have calmed down a bit and several Epic employees - including Rein himself - tried to clarify his comments.

According to a Gameindustry.biz report several Epic employees including Cliff Blezinski, Tim Sweeney, and Mark Rein tried to clarify things and put the issue to bed as amicably as possible. Cliff Blezinski said via Twitter that Mark probably thought his comments were silly:

"I haven't spoken with Mark today, but I'd wager he thought the comment was silly that only indy devs reply or interact to customers," he wrote.

Epic founder Tim Sweeney stopped by Harris' blog to comment, and to apologize on Rein's behalf:

"Yeah, Mark Rein can jump in with guns blazing sometimes, invited or not. It's all intended to be in good fun, but I guess it didn't work out that way this time. Sorry!," he said.

"When you have millions of customers, you can't talk to them all. Many of the Epic folks are in frequent contact with enough gamers that we have a pretty clear idea of what the community is thinking, but with this scope of product you can't respond as quickly or as pervasively. It's a nice but real problem, and one smaller teams like y'all will share when faced with a runaway success."

Meanwhile, Harris said via his Twitter feed that he had "got an email from Mark Rein. Angry devs are now not angry. Ceasefire declared."

But the most interesting part of the story comes from Mark Rein, who posted a lengthy response in the comments section of the Gi.biz story, taking issue with certain commentary about what he said:

"Oh come on!

'this time also claiming that larger companies such as Epic would leave little room for smaller developers on those platforms.'

That's not what I said! What I said was that, as the hardware inevitably developed, to make the kind of games we play on console today, and the installed bases of gamers on those platforms swelled to be as big as the mainstream gaming platforms today, big companies, and I was talking about PUBLISHERS, would be spending huge amounts of money turning mobile into the next triple-A battleground with major marketing budgets making it harder for little guys to (a) compete against larger dev budgets and (b) to get heard above the noise.

'Rein was unconvinced by GamesIndustry.biz's observation that history suggests smaller developers might move onto whatever proves to be the next upcoming technology while big studios busied themselves with the current zeitgeist.'

Perhaps but mobile IS the next upcoming technology. It is still very MUCH in the "upcoming" phase and there are thousands upon thousands of smaller developers already trying to address it today. "

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Positech's Harris and Epic's Rein Play Nice

Oh look he got called out for basically yelling YOU LIE in the middle of someone elses talk and then he was made to look like a complete ass.  So now its fire control and nothing more.  If you want to be an ass than stand behind being an ass don't try to blow smoke up ours though acting like you weren't being one.

Re: Positech's Harris and Epic's Rein Play Nice

An apology is meaningless when it comes from a third party.

And Mr. Rein should have the manners to sit quietly during someone else's presentation until the question and answer period, even if you disagree with what is being said. Ranting, raving, and interrupting someone's conference will always make you look like a deuchebag.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Neo_DrKefkaThanks James. Means a lot.10/21/2014 - 7:24pm
prh99Nothing that hasn't been said.10/21/2014 - 6:52pm
Andrew EisenHaven't read it yet. I'm sharing this because I love the header image. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html10/21/2014 - 3:39pm
james_fudgeYou are one of us, you're a GPer, not a GGer :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
james_fudgeNeo_DrKefka: half of them don't know who that is, so no worries :)10/21/2014 - 2:27pm
Andrew EisenUpdate to the Paranautical Activity story. Dev leaves the studio. http://codeavarice.com/post/100592709238/mike-is-leaving-code-avarice10/21/2014 - 1:52pm
quiknkoldI'm sure you are, Andrew10/21/2014 - 1:44pm
Andrew EisenNintendo announced the Link amiibo is compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No idea how Nintendo expects anyone to give a toss if it don't tell us what it does. Then again, maybe I'm just being curmudgeonly.10/21/2014 - 1:25pm
Neo_DrKefkaSo Gamergate compared me to leftist Saul Alnsky....ME off all the people10/21/2014 - 1:16pm
IanCWell.... quite.10/21/2014 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenWell of course. Girls don't buy figurines and guys don't buy figurines of girls. And no, the girls that buy figurines and the guys that buy figurines of girls don't count. The money belongs on the table, thank you very much!10/21/2014 - 12:43pm
IanCI have 3 of the Disney Infinity figures even though i don't have the game (Rapunzel from Tangled, and Anna & Elsa from Frozen, purely because its the only way to get figures from those two films)10/21/2014 - 12:23pm
Andrew EisenGlad you said "Pokemon." That's the first time I've seen anyone use that abbreviation.10/21/2014 - 12:14pm
MaskedPixelanteGot my demo key for ORAS, hope I get some awesome Pokemon to bring over.10/21/2014 - 12:08pm
E. Zachary KnightNot owning a WiiU helps too.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
E. Zachary KnightI have avoided Skylanders and Disney Infinity so far, so I don't see how Amiibos will get me in their grasp.10/21/2014 - 11:39am
Andrew EisenYes, GamerGate has a lot of fair-weather friends.10/21/2014 - 11:25am
Neo_DrKefkaI'm disheartened we have a group of people in Gamergate such as The Ralph Retort that is using Gamergate to prop themselves up but they are acting just like those they are fighting against. Only gaming site coming out of gamergate that worthy is TechRaptr10/21/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenNot I. I'm not interested in desktop tchotchkes. Don't know what they do in Captain Toad (a game I'll actually be picking up) but I'm not impressed by what they do in Smash Bros.10/21/2014 - 11:10am
quiknkoldso in a change of subject to something much lighter, who here is getting the Amiibos? I have 4 preordered.10/21/2014 - 7:02am