GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

July 20, 2010 -

GameStop's new CEO, Paul Raines, imagines a GameStop web site that is more of a platform than an online retail space. In an interview with The Street, Raines said that he sees a future where the company's official website becomes "a multi-channel aggregator for gaming." buying content no matter what platform they enjoy - "mobile, console or any other platform."

But Raines concedes that U.S. consumers are slow to migrate to online sales of boxed and digital content. The biggest challenge, he claims, is consumer education. He also noted that Netflix is the model they are looking at as they formulate a strategy to create a one stop gaming platform:

"We have studied Netflix a lot, and most of their users still absorb physical content rather than streaming. Now we are looking to see how gaming compares. We are focusing on consumer acceptance. The world won't be all digital tomorrow, even though that's what people are claiming. In this business, users still want physical content," he added.

Of course the reason for that is how Netflix handles streaming; a good percentage of that content is rarely ever new and content owners have deals with cable companies and DVD sales to contend with. How GameStop can plug into an existing system like Xbox Live or PlayStation Network remains to be seen but it's certainly thinking outside the box.

Source: GI.biz

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

If they want to be a platform get acouple dev teams and build a system, otherwise sit down shut up and sale the mofo games you got......

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

"Of course the reason for that is how Netflix handles streaming; a good percentage of that content is rarely ever new and content owners have deals with cable companies and DVD sales to contend with."

Right -- if I get a DVD from Netflix instead of streaming it, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TO STREAM.

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

Yeah, I prefer to have physical copy of games so I don't have to worry so much about how much harddrive space I have or I can just play the game right away rather than waiting for it to download.

Re: GameStop CEO:We Want To Be a Gaming Platform

I prefer it because I like to own things.

But the Netflix analogy is apt -- digital consumption is more like renting than owning.

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am