JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

July 22, 2010 -

Denver-based used games retailer JJGames calculates that the used games business is worth about $2 billion USD. With all the talk of big publishers trying to find new ways to monetize a market dominated by the likes of GameStop, it is pretty interesting that new game sales for various platforms including PC are $20.2 billion USD, according to NPD Group figures for 2009.

According to research from JJGames, presented as an "infographic" and available on IndustryGamers, 47.3 million people buy used games every year; in 2008, Gamestop - the largest purveyor of used games sales - 23 percent of sales were from used games and it generated 42 percent of the company's profits, while 25 percent of new games sales generated 45 percent of the company's sales revenue. These revenues are based on an average used game price of $20 and an average new game price of $43.83.

You can check out the chart at IndustryGamer. Sources for the data are listed on the infographic, but JJGames' methodology for arriving at the chart's conclusion were not revealed.

Comments

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Take out the use game amrket and how much money has the new game market lost? Quite alot if you ask me..................

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

That's like saying publishers loose money because there are other publishers in the market.  Of course they're not making as much money as they could if they had a monopoly, that's the whole point of allowing a used market: to keep prices fair for consumers and to assure them fair market value for their property.

my vanity is justified

my vanity is justified

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Errr....I am saying the used game market opens up more possibilities to buy new games and without it you will lose money because you lose more potential sales than gain with people only buying new.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

I reread it.  It makes much more sense now with your clarification.  Sorry.

my vanity is justified

my vanity is justified

Re: JJGames: Used Games Market Worth $2 Billion

Is cool I am a wee bit incoherent half the time :P

---

Patreon

Deviantart

james_fudgeI'll be watching the Facebook page09/01/2015 - 10:14am
james_fudgethe site maybe up right now, but we're not updating until we're at the new location.09/01/2015 - 10:13am
james_fudgehttps://www.facebook.com/gamepolitics09/01/2015 - 10:12am
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm