GameStop Acquires Kongregate

July 27, 2010 -

Will the independent spirit of Kongregate be crushed now that GameStop owns them? I certainly hope not, but it's a distinct possibility. Video game retailer GameStop announced this morning that it has acquired the popular indie gaming and community site for an undisclosed amount of money. GameStop probably sees this as "getting ahead of the curve" when it comes to digital distribution and Kongregate certainly has a micro-transaction system and enough community features to make it worth buying.

But many Kongregate users go there because the bulk of the gaming nirvana that it supplies is independent in nature. Still, if you watch this video you can't help but be optimistic.. Jim and Emily Greer, Kongregate co-founders and brother and sister super duo, will retain creative control over the site - which will become a wholly owned subsidiary of GameStop. The Kongregate offices in San Francisco will remain open.

Kongregate has right around 10 million monthly visitors who spend a whopping 23 million hours per month on the site chatting, interacting with other players and playing all kinds of games - from indie flash games to MMOs. The site currently has products from around 8500 developers. Kongregate shares revenue from advertising and virtual goods with developers and allows users to spend virtual currency called kreds to unlock additional features in games that support it.

Source: Kongregate

Comments

Re: GameStop Acquires Kongregate

Nothing says indie like a major conglomerate.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am