GameStop Acquires Kongregate

July 27, 2010 -

Will the independent spirit of Kongregate be crushed now that GameStop owns them? I certainly hope not, but it's a distinct possibility. Video game retailer GameStop announced this morning that it has acquired the popular indie gaming and community site for an undisclosed amount of money. GameStop probably sees this as "getting ahead of the curve" when it comes to digital distribution and Kongregate certainly has a micro-transaction system and enough community features to make it worth buying.

But many Kongregate users go there because the bulk of the gaming nirvana that it supplies is independent in nature. Still, if you watch this video you can't help but be optimistic.. Jim and Emily Greer, Kongregate co-founders and brother and sister super duo, will retain creative control over the site - which will become a wholly owned subsidiary of GameStop. The Kongregate offices in San Francisco will remain open.

Kongregate has right around 10 million monthly visitors who spend a whopping 23 million hours per month on the site chatting, interacting with other players and playing all kinds of games - from indie flash games to MMOs. The site currently has products from around 8500 developers. Kongregate shares revenue from advertising and virtual goods with developers and allows users to spend virtual currency called kreds to unlock additional features in games that support it.

Source: Kongregate

Comments

Re: GameStop Acquires Kongregate

Nothing says indie like a major conglomerate.

MattsworknameIt happens Tama, you go away for a few hours and the next thing you know, BOOM, shout box is jammed packed.05/07/2015 - 2:44am
MechaTama31Yikes, even with the massive new shoutbox, it still overflowed since I checked this afternoon.05/06/2015 - 11:25pm
Mattsworknameall I know is that whatever else it is, its gonna look good, cause the tech nowadays means you can do so much more with it.05/06/2015 - 9:39pm
Andrew EisenI hope Star Wars hooks me at some point. I'd love to be a fan again.05/06/2015 - 8:54pm
Wonderkarpme and my GF and Brother are going for Star Wars when it releases. We booked everything the moment the release date was announced.05/06/2015 - 8:35pm
Matthew WilsonI went as a kid. no real desire to go back.05/06/2015 - 8:34pm
Andrew EisenI'll go there someday. Just don't have the money or time right now. Need someone to go with too and that makes it even more of a logistical challenge.05/06/2015 - 8:32pm
Wonderkarpthis year I'm going to Disney World so I cant wait till Winter.05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
WonderkarpWinter is the worse....for my wallet05/06/2015 - 8:30pm
Andrew EisenWinter is the worst for me. Especially around Christmas time.05/06/2015 - 8:26pm
Wonderkarpknow what I hate? Month of May. my Sinus's are on fire.05/06/2015 - 8:25pm
Andrew EisenIn other news, I just realized what a mistake it was to start my 30 Days of Netflix project on YouTube the same month Age of Ultron came out.05/06/2015 - 8:24pm
Goth_SkunkI know. :P05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Great. Just don't be a dick about it! (not aimed at you)05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Matthew Wilson@goth do it in a reasonable manner thought. do not harass her.05/06/2015 - 8:13pm
Mattsworknamelots of gamers fall into that p roblem, as do some feminists and other grooups05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Goth_SkunkI think when someone is as influential as Sarkeesian is, having and espousing that opinion is dangerous. It has to be challenged. She has to be told, 'No, you're wrong about this.' And her influence should suffer as a result.05/06/2015 - 8:11pm
Mattsworknamegg has its bad actors and most moderate ggs dislike or outright work against them. be careful not to let your own hate or bias make you act like those you accuse05/06/2015 - 8:10pm
Andrew EisenMatt - Hell, sometimes minorities (peoples, opinions, whatever) themselves are just so damn scary to a number of the majority that they get marginalized whether there were so called bad actors or not.05/06/2015 - 8:09pm
Mattsworknamemechacrash, my point was that groups get marked by the actions of minoritys among them. as andrew points out, this isn't just feminist or gg, it's universal due to the wide spread use of social media05/06/2015 - 8:07pm