Schilling Bolts Massachusetts for Rhode Island (Updated)

July 27, 2010 -

Unable to resist a $75 million dollar loan from Rhode Island, former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling will pull up stakes and move his videogame development company 38 Studios to the Ocean State.

Boston.com reports that the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation approved the loan guarantee yesterday, because the addition of 38 Studios to Rhode Island “offered growth opportunity and could help drive the state's economy.” Massachusetts officials didn’t give up without a fight, as talks had been ongoing with the company to see what could be done to keep it in the state, but incentives offered couldn't match those of their neighbor to the South.

Schilling stated, “I’ve invested a significant amount of my life’s earnings in 38 Studios, and I will protect the loan guarantee that’s been given by the state with the same passion and interest that I’m protecting my own investment in this company.”

38 Studios said it would bring 450 jobs to the state by the end of 2012. It would pay a penalty if it failed to reach that goal.

Schilling unveiled the company’s latest game—Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning—at last week’s Comic-Con.

If Schilling does get home sick, he can always visit the Triple-A affiliate of his former team, the Pawtucket (Rhode Island) Red Sox.

Update: Massachusetts Independent candidate for Governor (and current state Treasurer and Receiver-General) Tim Cahill blasted Rhode Island, saying the state made a “bad decision.”

Also, a piece on the American Spectator called the deal “corporate socialism,” describing it as “one of the most obscene cases of using public money to back private business.”

Comments

Re: Schilling Bolts Massachusetts for Rhode Island (Updated)

RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

www.gameslaw.net

Re: Schilling Bolts Massachusetts for Rhode Island (Updated)

Really? One of the most obscene? I'm sure that with a little Googling, we can find much, much more 'obscene' cases.

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm