Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

August 3, 2010 -

Bloomberg reports that Microsoft has emerged as the winner in a patent infringement lawsuit involving the Xbox and multiplayer gaming. The court battle, which has dragged on for six years, has been dismissed by a Detroit judge. The case was dismissed on July 20 by U.S. District Judge Paul D. Borman (Hochstein v. Microsoft, 04-73071) in the U.S. District Court for the District of Michigan (Detroit).

The lawsuit was filed in 2004 against Microsoft by inventors Peter Hochstein and Jeffrey Tennenbaum and patent holder Harold Milton Jr. It alleged that Microsoft's Xbox 360 device violated a patent filed in 1994 covering "two or more people play video games together without being in the same location." The judge ruled that the patent only covered "game systems that are electrically connected" and that such a connection doesn’t include the type of link among players used by the Xbox.

Comments

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

Lets all patent the idea "to oxygenate blood by drawing atmosphere through small airsacks covered in veins"... and force Peter Hochstein,  Jeffrey Tennenbaum and Harold Milton Jr. should to pay for each breath they want to take.

Ridiculous? Yes, but they are intent on doing the same to REAL inventors... to suffocate anyone who actually INVENT something, to suffocate anyone who has any real knowledge.

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

Patents are supposed to be for protecting unique ideas that someone else isn't going to come up with on their own without seeing your idea.  Not obvious things like this.  This should have been thrown out long ago.

Pwnage of Empires

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

What's next, someone patenting a video game system that require electricity to work, and suing every single company that has made a video game console?

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

The patent is so vauge, if this came before the right judge it could have easily gone to Hochstein.

For once, yay Microsoft.

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

Hopefully this will set precedent for the other holders of patents vague enough to sue over.

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

"Obviously this was a major win for Microsoft, but some mud in the eye of Sony who settled with the trio of inventors over similar claims against the PlayStation 3 many moons ago."

Sony should have kept on fighting this stupid lawsuit.

Anyways congrats on winning Microsoft.

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

I wonder if they will go after AMI and JVL next, since those systems are electrically connected....

Re: Microsoft Wins in Multiplayer Gaming Patent Suit

Woo!  A win against stupid lawsuits!

Matthew Wilsonmetaphorically speaking of course04/17/2015 - 9:40pm