Nielsen: Games Account for 10% of All Time Spent Online in U.S.

August 3, 2010 -

Results from new research released by Nielsen shows that Americans spend 40 percent of their time online doing one of three things—interacting with social networks, playing online games or checking/sending/reading email.

Social network engagement took a reported 22.7 percent of online time in June of 2010, up 43 percent from previous year results of 15.8 percent. Online gaming, with a healthy chunk made up of social games no doubt, took up 10.2 percent of available Internet time (up 10 percent from the year before), while email activities contributed to 8.3 percent of all time online.

Gaming surpassed email to become the second most time consuming online activity in the new results.
The all encompassing category of “other” contributed 34.3 percent of all online time in June.

Converted to millions of hours, monthly time spent on social networking was put at 906 million hours, followed by games with 407 million hours and email activities with 329 million.

A survey to determine the online habits of mobile users imparted different results: email was the top activity, followed by visiting Internet portals and accessing social networks.

Nielsen analyst Dave Martin added, “While convergence will continue, the unique characteristics of computers and mobiles, both in their features and when and where they are used mean that mobile Internet behavior mirroring its PC counterpart is still some way off.”


Comments

Re: Nielsen: Games Account for 10% of All Time Spent Online ...

Hang on... unless my math is off or I'm missing something, those figures only add up to about 75%. Where's the other 25%?

22.7% social networking

10.2% gaming

8.3% email

34.3% other

75.5% total

Oh, never mind. Went to the link. Lots of other minor categories, none of which are porn. So I guess 'other' is indeed porn.

Re: Nielsen: Games Account for 10% of All Time Spent Online ...

"Other," eh? That's a polite way to say "surfing porn." Andrew Eisen

Re: Nielsen: Games Account for 10% of All Time Spent Online ...

Unless your in Australia in which case it means, "wishing you could surf for porn, but you already went over your data cap by surfing porn yesterday." :-) Just teasing Andrew, long time no see.

 
Forgot your password?
Username :
Password :

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

Shout box

You're not permitted to post shouts.
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am
ZenLet the ax fall Sleaker...lessons MUST be learned...08/20/2014 - 11:44am
 

Be Heard - Contact Your Politician