Analysts Offer Thoughts on Schilling’s Future

August 4, 2010 -

As Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios prepares to move from Massachusetts to Rhode Island, lured in part by a $75 million loan, stipulations of the agreement between the game maker and the state are coming to light.

One provision of the deal dictated that 38 Studios would eventually ramp up to 450 employees. According to WPRI.com, if Schilling’s company fails to meet that goal by August of 2013, the developer would have to pay the state $7,500 a year for each absent job.

Schilling himself estimated that Electronic Arts has invested upwards of $50 million into 38 Studios as a partner and eventual publisher of the just-revealed role-playing game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. That figure was called “enormous” by Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey, who intimated that EA may be supporting 38 Studios’ development costs as well with such a princely sum.

Meanwhile, Pacific Crest Securities analyst Evan Wilson worried that such an investment would limit 38 Studios’ earnings, since it would have to repay EA for its investment first.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, more discussing the developer’s massively-multiplayer online game in development (codenamed Copernicus), told the publication, “My guess is that [38 Studios] will succeed, but it's really hard to forecast without seeing the game.”

Pachter further stated, "38 Studios is doing everything right to minimize the risk of failure."

Wilson added, “As a state, if you want to start attracting more talent either in tech, media or entertainment, then video games I think is a good place to do that.”

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

quiknkoldI have a problem with games that use a digit for sequals when clearly they can be called something else. Five Nights at Freddy's 2? Nonono. Its "Another Five Nights at Freddy's" or "Five Nights Week 2"10/22/2014 - 5:30pm
E. Zachary KnightExtra Credits has come out against GamerGate. https://www.facebook.com/ExtraCredits/posts/86104175727438610/22/2014 - 5:28pm
E. Zachary Knightis it really that hard to answer a question, that to me seems fairly straight forward? I ask, because I have asked a specific question now 3 times without an actual answer in the wastebook thread.10/22/2014 - 5:20pm
Andrew EisenFive Nights at Freddy's 2! Yay! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s10/22/2014 - 5:07pm
Matthew Wilsonyou guys know he doesnt work for ea anymore?10/22/2014 - 5:02pm
WymorenceYou forgot having to open Unity through Origin too. :p10/22/2014 - 4:37pm
MaskedPixelanteUnity will now be licensed out half finished, with remaining tools to be sold back to you for 10-15 dollars a piece.10/22/2014 - 3:23pm
E. Zachary KnightNot a big fan of this news, but Unity3D's CEO is stepping down and John Riccitiello steps up. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/228384/Helgason_steps_down_as_Unity_CEO_and_John_Riccitiello_steps_up.php10/22/2014 - 3:06pm
MaskedPixelanteIt's probably extremism.10/22/2014 - 12:07pm
Matthew Wilsonthat being said, they are more likely to blame religious extremists than games.10/22/2014 - 12:01pm
Matthew Wilsonlets just hope they dont try to blame video games.10/22/2014 - 12:00pm
MaskedPixelanteOh joy, Ottawa's on lockdown, this is going to be a fun couple of days...10/22/2014 - 11:56am
MaskedPixelanteAnyone have any good text replacement scripts? I want one that can censor out Breitbart links.10/22/2014 - 11:35am
james_fudgeMilo and I are not BFFs. I tried, man!10/22/2014 - 11:33am
ZippyDSMleequiknkold:you too eh? 0-o10/22/2014 - 10:23am
Michael ChandraI don't like bullying anymore than you do, and yes, I think you're petty. Not commenting on the sob part, because I don't know your mother and don't see why I'd insult her.10/22/2014 - 10:02am
quiknkoldif that makes me petty, then I guess I'm one petty sob10/22/2014 - 8:48am
quiknkoldwell I'm sorry Conster, Having my skull smashed in when I was 14 made me skeptical to apologies when it comes to Bullying regardless of the platform its given. I guess Bullies beat the sympathy out of me.10/22/2014 - 8:47am
ConsterOn an unrelated note, I'm missing a "heck if I know" option on the poll.10/22/2014 - 8:33am
ConsterIf someone offends a bunch of people on twitter, they should apologize on twitter, and not accepting said apology because it's "only" on twitter is petty.10/22/2014 - 8:22am