Kinect Supports Sign Language

August 9, 2010 -

Good news for the hearing-impaired—Microsoft’s new controller-free technology appears like it will support the use of American Sign Language (ASL).

In a U.S. patent application, as noticed by SlashGear, Microsoft lays out the basic framework behind Kinect.

One section, illustrated in an image on SlashGear, shows a person making sign language gestures that Kinect can understand.

More:

The user 502 is making a gesture with his left hand 508a to signal the character "a" in American Sign Language (ASL). This gesture may be interpreted as if the user were pressing the "a" key on a keyboard. In embodiments, the user is not limited to a single hand to make a gesture. The user may make the gesture with his right hand, both hands, or some combination of his body parts. Additionally, the user may use a prop, such as a conductor's wand in making the gesture.

In an embodiment, this sign language comprises American Sign Language (ASL). Where the language is ASL, the gesture may be a single letter or number, or a word or even a full expression or phrase, as is allowed by the language. ASL has the advantage of having a large number of people who are already facile in using it. To that end, a user who is facile in ASL will have an easy time inputting characters to a system that accepts ASL gestures as input.

Comments

Re: Kinect Supports Sign Language

This is a part of a patent and not a feature that the device will actually be using, but it looks like MS will be planning on having the tech get to the point it can support such features in the future. As it stands right now there is no way this thing (which can't even detect your movements properly if you are sitting down) will work with any kind of accuracy. If you dig a little further you see how they filed a patent for kinect saying it will be able to read lips as well. Yeah, don't get your hopes up folks, this stuff ain't happening, but it does mean they can work on suing someone else should they come out with tech that DOES actually do this and it works.

"

Re: Kinect Supports Sign Language

Neat as a speedy alternative to a virtual keyboard.  Hopefully you don't have to sign painfully slow for Kinect to correctly interpret your input.

As an aside, I know a little sign language but I've only had the opportunity to use it once.  A guy in a store came up to me and repeatedly finger spelled "polo" at me.  I had no idea what he wanted.  I signed "What is 'polo'?" but he threw his arms up in frustration and walked away.

Andrew Eisen

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm