Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

August 17, 2010 -

Realtime Worlds has gone into "administration" according to a report on Gamasutra. The confirmation of this comes on the heels over an earlier report this morning on sister publication Develop. The company that created Crackdown and All Points Bulletin will now be under the watchful eye of UK-based corporate recovery group Begbies Traynor.

Begbies Traynor will look deeply into the financial soul of the company and figure out if it can find a way to survive by selling assets or if it will have to close its doors altogether. Administration is equivalent to bankruptcy here in the United States in case you didn't figure that out already.

The Administration follows what should have been a profitable time for the Dundee, Scotland-based company founded by Grand Theft Auto creator Dave Jones; two months ago the company launched its first MMO the gritty urban action game All Points Bulletin, but the game didn't do as well as the company had expected, forcing it to (recently) cut some 60 employees from its staff. The company also recently unveiled a social virtual game world called Project: My World, but media reports indicate that it couldn't secure a deal to finance the game.

While the company's fate is uncertain it would be a shame to lose the developer that brought us the original Crackdown. We'll continue to follow this story as it develops.

Source: Gamasutra

Posted in

Comments

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

This stinks as I bought APB in hopes that they would eventually release enough patches to make it in to a servicable MMO universe. I like the idea of a MMO shooter, but the execution on that idea is at this time incomplete.

I guess there is little chance now of them making the game better for those of us who bought the game? More importantly... I just went out to Steam and I see: "Buy APB All Points Bulletin for $49.99." The big "what if" is that lets say you buy this today and Realtime Worlds goes belly up? Is "company want under" a viable reason to get your money back? I seem to remember Valve/Steam being hard to get a refund from? Is that still true?

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

After releasing the god awful APB this was expected to happen to Real Time Worlds.

Re: Realtime Worlds Enters into Administration

I'll be stupid enough to argue that this is somehow Microsoft's fault.  I think that when Microsoft pulled Crackdown from Real Time Worlds, they lost a game that would have garnered them crucial sales during this time.  Also, Crackdown 2 sucked and had none of the charm the original had.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm