Sony Loses 5.1 million Yen in IP Lawsuit

August 19, 2010 -

A Japanese IP court has ruled against Sony Corp. today in a lawsuit with a former employee who claimed that the company didn't compensate him properly for technology he created that was used in the PlayStation. Japan's Intellectual Property High Court has ordered Sony to pay former employee Hidehiro Kume approximately 5.1 million yen for his invention; "a technology used in PlayStation game consoles."

The decision reverses a lower court decision ruling that rejected Kume's demand. The 58-year old former employee of Sony was seeking 100 million yen. Kume invented a "small optical pickup" used to play and record data on optical discs for the PlayStation sold prior to and during 2003.

Kume expressed his thanks to the court for the decision, which Sony says it will review as it considers an appeal.

"I thank the court for identifying some of my contributions to the company," Kume said at a news conference after his victory in court. "But the company should have appreciated my contributions when I was an employee."

Source: Hard[OCP] by way of Blue's News

Comments

Re: Sony Loses 5.1 million Yen in IP Lawsuit

Should really put in parentheses the amount in dollars (or very least pounds) ... 5.1 million yen is JACK.  He won 59732.73 in US Dollars ... just remember the yen doesn't have a decimal point so shift every number they mention two places to the left and that is a good estimate for it in US and UK (used to be better for US not so much since we destroyed our dollar but I wont get into that).

Re: Sony Loses 5.1 million Yen in IP Lawsuit

Wait wait wait wait wait.

So you're saying that the guy who designed the disc reader for the PS1 and 2 is getting REWARDED for it?

Re: Sony Loses 5.1 million Yen in IP Lawsuit

With a number that's prolly somewhere around a year of salary, yes.

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm