Charity Outfits Sick Kids with Nintendo Handhelds

August 20, 2010 -

A Nintendo DS helped one eight-year old boy cope with the hospital stays and treatments resulting from a diagnosis that he had acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).

Now nine-years old, the plight of Genre Baker of North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania inspired the formation of the Genre’s Kids with Cancer Fund, which has the goal of outfitting similarly affected sick children at the Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh with their own handheld game systems to help them pass the time.

Genre, in a Pittsburgh Live story on his travails, said, “Whenever I was in the hospital, I had to stay there for hours and there was nothing to do but play my (Nintendo) DS. I wanted other kids to be able to have one, too, if they didn't.”

Neighboring Irwin, Pennsylvania will be the scene of a fund raising race/walk, called Footsteps in Faith, for the charity on August 28. Entrants can choose to participate in a 5k run or a one mile walk.

It was stated that “Genre's cancer has gone into remission, but his battle with cancer and treatment is far from over.” His treatment will continue until September of 2012 and he can’t be called cancer-free until remission has been in place for five years.

E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm