The Dumbest Survey Ever

August 24, 2010 -

While you can probably guess what mobile companies would say when asked what they think of net neutrality, The Globe and Mail decided to ask them anyway, as part of an international survey. The results? Mobile companies are *gasp* against net neutrality. Shocking, right?

The survey, conducted by Law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer for the Globe and Mail, asked international mobile executives what they thought of mobile net neutrality. Fifty-five percent of those surveyed said that they would like to "break away from fixed line and mobile net neutrality."

Respondents also indicated that legal loopholes in the existing system need to be fixed before different types of data can be identified and treated appropriately. Basically the mobile industry highlighted in the survey have no problem charging content providers for giving priority to data.

"The survey responses indicate that the greater the bandwidth used by a particular app or user, that’s when it would merit a different fee structure. [Traffic] prioritization is likely to be looked at very closely by regulators," said Natasha Good, a partner with the law firm.

Source: Globe and Mail by way of ITProPortal Staff

Comments

Re: The Dumbest Survey Ever

Cue the usual suspects claiming there's no evidence whatsoever that telecoms will introduce tiered pricing structures if net neutrality isn't passed into law.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm