Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

August 25, 2010 -

While the turnaround time of Flash games based on popular news events is generally rather amazing, one such game based on the recent hostage tragedy that occurred on a bus in the Philippines earlier this week is drawing criticism.

A disgruntled ex-policeman named Rolando Mendoza boarded a bus of tourists in Manila in a misguided attempt to win his job back. After a long standoff, which the consensus says was mismanaged, police finally stormed the bus and killed Mendoza, but not before he murdered eight of the tourists, all of whom were from Hong Kong.

The game based on this event is named Bus Hostage by Policeman and appears on the Newgrounds site, where it has received scathing reviews (0.95 out of 5.00) and comments, for both its subject matter and buggy, awful gameplay. The game itself has players attempting to shoot Mendoza through the windows of the bus, asking participants “Can you stop him and blow his brain?”

Among the comments:

I am new here, but I agree with you. I am a Hong Kong guy, and it is outraging to see some cold-blooded people making this sort of crap for a game…

please revise your game, this one's insulting. for every Filipino's sake.. kindly do.

I'm a Filipino but I don't appreciate what you have made because you're not just insulting us you're including the others too

Turd of the month maybe!!!!!!!!!!

This aint fun, it is clear you have no respect for the people who died in the tragedy. And the game is bad too...

Comments

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

I am saddened by the death of the people, etc. but its just a crappy flash game. People need to get over it.

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that the game is poorly made and not fun to play.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

It will probably be blammed off of Newgrounds, so no worries.

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

It's got 2333 votes, so it's well past the blam stage.  Per Newground's FAQ, it needs a ranking of 1.0 at 100 votes, 1.25 at 150 votes, and 1.60 at 200 votes.  Even though it's currently under even the lowest blam threshold, it presumably had a high enough rating at the key points necessary for survival.

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

Playing Devil's Advocate here: excluding the apparently dire gameplay quality, what's the difference between this and players acting as Taliban members in Medal of Honor?

Re: Flash Game Based on Filipino Bus Tragedy Getting Ripped

/thread

It´s a stupid and tasteless game, but it doesn´t affect to anybody. In any case it is an insult toward the murderer.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm