GMA Takes a Look at Games and Health

August 26, 2010 -

Stephen Yang, a SUNY Cortland Professor and Games for Health advocate, appeared on Good Morning America earlier this month to discuss the impact games are having on the health field.

Yang demonstrated games such as the Wii-based Just Dance, billing it as chance to “imitate and have fun,” adding, “It’s for exercise, enjoyment, socialization… that’s the whole point of games, it brings us all together.”

Yang then showed off a prototype game from Red Hill Studios that's designed to (hopefully) improve the balance of Parkinson's sufferers.

Nothing really new, but always nice to see games championed in the media and the spotlight put on great initiatives like Games for Health.

Comments

Re: GMA Takes a Look at Games and Health

I believe it's great someone decided to talk about the good side of games, because frankly I have had it enough with news stories about the violence of games or about people dying because they played too much. I am a big fan of Jewel Quest, just because it's a simple game I like to play when I want a break.

Re: GMA Takes a Look at Games and Health

Kudos for putting this up.  I'm both a gamer and a science major and I do a lot of studies on how video game can act as medical application.  I've been reading a lot about video game being used for medical application and rehab purpose.

Wii-hab