Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

August 26, 2010 -

Target is getting serious about the used games market today, with the rollout of in-store trade-ins at select retail outlets in California. The trade-in program launches today in Northern California, with plans to expand it next month at more Target locations. By year's end Target hopes to offer trade-ins at over 850 stores nationwide. In addition to the in-store trade-ins, consumers will also be able to go to the Target website to trade-in used electronics and DVDs as well - for store credit. Apparently, you'll also be able to trade in select electronics too like iPhones and cellphones.

Target has been re-evaluating its videogame business in 2010, and adjusting accordingly to make the shopping experience more palatable for consumers. The used game trade-in initiative is probably part of these changes - and a way for Target to cut into the massive profits that specialty retailer GameStop makes off used games. Or you could just chalk this up to Target following the crowd: after all, if Best Buy is doing it, why shouldn't they?

Comments

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Buy new if you can, honestly if you have to buy used you might as well just pirate the game. The publisher does not see one red cent of the money that is paid for a used game and Target doesn't need to make money off of the developers work.

Basically buy new if you really want to support the industry, if you aren't going to buy new you might as well pirate.

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Absolutely not and shame on you for even suggesting such a thing.  Now, if you're just providing a publisher's perspective on used game sales (buy used or pirate, either way you're not the publisher's customer), fine.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will we ever get Half-Life 3?:

Neo_DrKefka#WriteAKotakuArticle "#GamerGate is responsible for breaking millions of Intel powered macbooks after angry SWJ hipsters slam them shut" or "How Toxic Processors from Intel causes sexism. "10/02/2014 - 12:15am
Neo_DrKefkaSo Intel has dropped Gamesutra due to there support of your Gaming News Cabal Fudge. Anti GamerGate article soon? Or like your e-mails are you hoping this narrative dies down soon?10/02/2014 - 12:14am
Andrew EisenWell, time to eat some dinner and work on the Hyrule Warriors guide until bedtime!10/02/2014 - 12:11am
Andrew EisenJust finished my stream. That... could have gone better. Technical issues prevented me from playing a console game so I instead played and bitched about The Walking Dead for two hours. Oh well, the folks watching still seemed to enjoy it.10/02/2014 - 12:09am
Matthew Wilsonwe all know valve can not cout to 3.10/02/2014 - 12:08am
MechaTama31Who cares? Gimme Portal 3!10/01/2014 - 9:38pm
quiknkoldAndrew : Mostly I decided there were better people who could explain what was going on, or fight any battles that may come up. so I decided not to talk about it anymore.10/01/2014 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI don't recall you promising that. GamerGate is not a taboo discussion here. Anyway, thanks for the link. Very interesting.10/01/2014 - 8:47pm
quiknkoldI know I promised to not talk about Gamergate again, but Intel just pulled sponsership from Gamasutra over it http://techraptor.net/2014/10/01/gamasutra-intel/10/01/2014 - 8:40pm
quiknkoldP.T. is a game I just cannot play alone. I puss out hard on it. need somebody with me when I play that. Kojima was right. it is Pants Shittingly Scary10/01/2014 - 6:17pm
quiknkold@james_fudge not playin all the way through. P.T, Silent Hill(Not sure which), Resident Evil Gamecube Remake, Alien Isolation, Ghostbusters, Outlast, Super Castlevania 410/01/2014 - 6:04pm
james_fudgeI wish I could like that last shout.10/01/2014 - 5:48pm
MechaTama31Tried out Sims 4 on my brother in law's pc. Promptly got my sim exhausted, to soil himself, then sent him without cleaning up to mock people at the museum. Good times...10/01/2014 - 5:33pm
E. Zachary KnightSo they figured out how to share CPU cycles between pools and their advanced emotions engine? Sweet.10/01/2014 - 2:53pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/01/ghosts-pools-darth-vader-coming-to-the-sims-4/ Pools no longer impossible.10/01/2014 - 2:06pm
james_fudgeDon't eat angry.10/01/2014 - 1:49pm
E. Zachary KnightI am pretty hungry. I feel like I could smash some supper. Not sure if I am up for making a collage though.10/01/2014 - 1:00pm
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/events What a weird idea. Nintendo will be bringing Supper smash brothers for 3ds and wiiu to collage football games.10/01/2014 - 12:52pm
PHX CorpI'll give the hosting 2 Streams on twitch a spin during extra life marathon10/01/2014 - 12:41pm
james_fudgequiknkold:: oh yeah which games?10/01/2014 - 11:20am