Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

August 26, 2010 -

Target is getting serious about the used games market today, with the rollout of in-store trade-ins at select retail outlets in California. The trade-in program launches today in Northern California, with plans to expand it next month at more Target locations. By year's end Target hopes to offer trade-ins at over 850 stores nationwide. In addition to the in-store trade-ins, consumers will also be able to go to the Target website to trade-in used electronics and DVDs as well - for store credit. Apparently, you'll also be able to trade in select electronics too like iPhones and cellphones.

Target has been re-evaluating its videogame business in 2010, and adjusting accordingly to make the shopping experience more palatable for consumers. The used game trade-in initiative is probably part of these changes - and a way for Target to cut into the massive profits that specialty retailer GameStop makes off used games. Or you could just chalk this up to Target following the crowd: after all, if Best Buy is doing it, why shouldn't they?

Comments

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Buy new if you can, honestly if you have to buy used you might as well just pirate the game. The publisher does not see one red cent of the money that is paid for a used game and Target doesn't need to make money off of the developers work.

Basically buy new if you really want to support the industry, if you aren't going to buy new you might as well pirate.

Re: Target Ramps Up Used Games Business

Absolutely not and shame on you for even suggesting such a thing.  Now, if you're just providing a publisher's perspective on used game sales (buy used or pirate, either way you're not the publisher's customer), fine.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

MechaTama31I don't even want to know...02/27/2015 - 8:22pm
ZippyDSMleeFun? I can do fun…. I think LOL. Dungeons 2 is on preorder but not via steam... >> Hell I am breaking all kinds of personal butthurt rules to even THINK about pre order...02/27/2015 - 8:12pm
E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm