New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

August 31, 2010 -

Expect sales of Electronic Arts’ Medal of Honor to do a little better in New Zealand after that country’s Defense Minister Wayne Mapp (pictured) joined his UK counterpart in condemning the title.

Mapp, who is also New Zealand’s Minister of Research, Science and Technology, spoke out against the game because, presumably, of its multiplayer component, where gamers will have the ability to fight as Taliban forces.

In comments carried by GamePlanet, Mapp stated that, “Terrorist acts have caused the deaths of several New Zealanders.” He continued, “This game undermines the values of our nation, and the dedicated service of our men and women in uniform.”

Mapp added that “hundreds” of New Zealanders have fought terrorism in Afghanistan, before bringing up the recent death of Lieutenant Timothy O'Donnell, New Zealand’s first serviceman to die in that theatre of combat. The 28-year old O'Donnell was killed when his three-vehicle patrol was attacked by RPGs in Bamyan Province earlier this month.

Mapp’s comments are eerily similar to those made last week by UK Defense Secretary Liam Fox, who called Medal of Honor “disgusting” and said that retailers should not sell the game.

Comments

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

So I take it he also opposes all WWI and WWII games where you can play Germans or Italians? Seeing as how Australian soldiers died in those wars? Or perhaps he never heard of Waltzing Mathilda?

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

You do know that they're different countries, right?

And that New Zealanders also fought and died in both those wars, not as part of the Australian military, but as part of their own?

New Zealand contributed more troops per capita to WW1 and WW2 than any of the other allied nations.

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

Yeah, sorry, I know that, made a mixup there... -___- My bad. Sometimes my brain wires go wrong.

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

No problem - at some point, everyone has a brain-fart

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

Did anyone else burst into laughter at the phrase “This game undermines the values of our nation"? 'Cause I think it was hilariously melodramatic.

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

You know, I can understand calling people "terrorists" when they try to, you know, terrorize, by using tactics that attack civilians and so on. But when it's a war on their home ground that last many years, I don't think the term applies anymore...

Re: New Zealand Latest Stop for MOH Bashing Tour

If New Zealand bans this game it will join Manhunt 1/2, Postal 1/2 and Reservoir Dogs. A game that is banned in New Zealand is illegal to import, own, sell, buy, rent etc. So if its banned there its banned for good.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am