Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

September 7, 2010 -

The Bangor Daily News has an interesting report on net neutrality and where Maine's top politicians stand on the FCC's plan to reclassify broadband and mobile services under Title II of the Communications Act.

Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) told the paper that she is "very concerned" with what the FCC plans and that it bothers her that the Internet could have "multiple lanes" where large companies could get preferential treatment.

Here's more from the moderate Republican Senator:

"I am very concerned about the direction the FCC is taking," said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine. "It also seems to me that the chairman is exceeding his authority and that these issues are fundamental policy issues that should be decided by Congress."

"I am adamantly opposed to the FCC, or any other regulatory agency, that might be moving forward and implementing through the rule process, something that could be detrimental to Maine," he said.

Michaud also finds it "disturbing" that the FCC is holding closed-door discussions with big Internet companies.

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), a member of the Senate Commerce Committee that oversees the FCC, said that Congress may have to act to update the 1996 Telecommunications Act and "specifically spell out: what authority the FCC has."

"Because of the rapid development of new technologies, voice and video and data, it has become critical to try and manage those networks," she said, "but, at the same time, preserve the nondiscrimination principles and making sure there are reasonable practices in place that do not inhibit the ability of the average person to use the Internet as they are accustomed to do today."

First District Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, proclaimed herself "a strong supporter of Net neutrality" and said that "the FCC should not undercut the principle in its negotiations with Internet companies."

"I defiantly [sic] think that Congress should mandate this," she said, "I just think it is a fundamental principle. The Internet has become phenomenally important in how we do business, how we access information, how we educate ourselves."

Pingree hopes the House will have a bill to deal with the issues this fall, though the mid-term elections will probably interfere with most legislation this fall.

Source: Bangor Daily News

Posted in

Comments

Re: Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

"Second District Rep. Mike Michaud (D-Maine) also voiced concern that more rural areas of the country will be left behind as Internet providers cater to larger markets."

Isn't it already like this?

Re: Maine Politicians Sound Off on Net Neutrality

I think he means even moreso. I'm in a rural area myself. My phone company (A Co-Op) provides the broadband net access here, but in other parts of the country it'll be like getting cable outside the city limits- You are not getting it without a dish.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm