Zeldathon to Benefit American Diabetes Association

September 21, 2010 -

In the wake of a 2010 summer event that raised more than $3,300 for the American Cancer Society, a group of teen gamers from Pennsylvania have set their sights on a similar benefit in order to aid the American Diabetes Association.

The Zeldathon Team will broadcast marathon play sessions of various The Legend of Zelda games beginning on Monday, December 27. The group will attempt to play as much as possible over five days while attempting to recruit donations from viewers, some of whom will have the chance to win prizes.

Event Director Matthew Moffit, who lost his father and grandfather to diabetes complications, offered, “It is my hope that through this event, we can not only have lots of fun with our audience, but raise a great deal of money to help fund diabetes research as well.”

The Zeldathon Team hopes to raise $5,000 with this winter’s event.

Comments

Re: Zeldathon to Benefit American Diabetes Association

If they did it "desert bus" style, and had it to where donations increased the time spent playing, then they could potentially make much more than $5000.  Just checked the desert bus site for info, and using that method they raised:

1st year: $22k

2nd year: $70k

3rd year: $140k

Never underestimate how much people will spend to increase your misery (and help out a charity at the same time).

Wonderkarp*Sippin on Long Island Iced Tea*05/22/2015 - 8:24pm