FCC Chairman: 'I'm Impatient Too'

September 29, 2010 -

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski is in the weeds, as House Commerce Committee Chair Henry Waxman (D-Ca.) preps a bill that would set rules for net neutrality. As we detailed earlier, these are not the rules that net neutrality proponents wanted. What started out as a serious pursuit of new rules for broadband and wireless service providers has turned into a stall for the FCC.

Now Genachowski sits on the sidelines, looking impotent to proponents of new regulations. Earlier this year he delayed any decision on net neutrality rules until after the mid-term elections, and handed off the political football to the House Commerce Committee. Groups like New America Foundation's Open Technology Initiative find the FCC's lack of movement on the issue discouraging.

"We don't have a chairman making bad decisions. We just have a chairman that doesn't make decisions," said Sascha Meinrath, director of the New America Foundation's Open Technology Initiative. Meinrath was a member of the Obama campaign's tech advisory group.

Genachowski and his aides say that the criticism is unfair and that the FCC is still working on a number of important proposals.

"I'm impatient, too. This is an important area that touches a lot, and it's important for our economy," said Mr. Genachowski in an interview. "There's a lot to do. There's a lot we've gotten done, but there's a lot to do."

But Free Press disagrees: "To the extent that any FCC chairman has any political capital, they have it in their first year," said Derek Turner, research director at Free Press, a public interest group. "Genachowski spent his first year asking a lot of questions and not taking much meaningful action. It's paralysis by analysis."

Source: WSJ

Comments

Re: FCC Chairman: 'I'm Impatient Too'

I just can't fathom how anybody who understands what Net Neutrality is could be opposed to it.  I know the "GOVERNMENT BAD!" mantra is important to the tea partiers, but it's taken to an unreasonable extreme here.  Suppose the water company decided to charge you extra because you collect rainwater runoff to water your garden, and they wanted to recoup their losses.  Or they shut off your water because they saw a Culligan van in front of your house.  The government should be able to take action to stop, punish, and hopefully prevent these abuses, right?  That's exactly what Net Neutrality is, only for the internet instead of water.  Why can't people understand that?

Re: FCC Chairman: 'I'm Impatient Too'

Another example, Wal Mart refuses you service because they saw you try to put a Meijer soda bottle in the recycling machine.

Re: FCC Chairman: 'I'm Impatient Too'

If he wants a shot at actually accomplishing anything worthwhile with NN he'll have to wait until after mid-term elections.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm