Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

October 1, 2010 -

4 chan's "Operation Payback," like other internet activist operations may have gone too far - assuming they take credit for it.. TorrentFreak reports that the office of the law firm Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver was evacuated by the police after an anonymous source emailed a bomb threat. The law firm has sued thousands of BitTorrent users in the United States for allegedly downloading or sharing the film "The Hurt Locker."

A few days ago 4chan users called for a concentrated DDoS attack on the law firm's web site as part of "Operation Payback." In short order the web site went down along with its email server. Several hours later the site was back up. Thursday afternoon an email was sent to the law firm, claiming that a bomb was in the building. Local police, firemen, and dogs were sent into the building to sniff out the alleged bomb. Naturally there was no bomb.

Earlier in the week TorrentFreak spoke to someone claiming to be connected to the "Operation Payback" attacks. They asked the unnamed source why they were targeting Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver target. "They’re all anti-piracy lawyers," he or she said. "Think of Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver as of ACS:Law, but in the USA."

While "Operation Payback" may have targeted the firm, it is unclear who sent the bomb threat. Anonymous / 4 chan certainly have not claimed responsibility for it.

Source: TorrentFreak

Posted in

Comments

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

Knowing Anonymous, they will be turning that prankster to the police by themselves if they care enough.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

Somebody set up us the bomb!

Had to be said. Sorry. :P

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

This threat is defenitly going too far to fight the anti-piracy law firms.

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

As against these lawsuits as I am, there is such a thing as taking it too far. Whoever did send the email definitely crossed the line.

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

Doesn't matter if the email even existed, let alone was actually sent by 4chan.

I'm betting that they will be blamed for it anyway.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 NW2K Software http://www.facebook.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Re: Anti-Piracy Law Firm Gets Bomb Threat

Agreed. And then 4chan's going to throw a fit, which I think is more than understandable, really.

This is definitely going to get way uglier before it ever gets better.

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm