Anti-Terror Games Allow Indians to Express Patriotism

October 5, 2010 -

An interesting article on the Times of India website details a series of games based on the 2008 Mumbai, India terrorist attack and goes into why, perhaps, people are drawn to play them.

The columnist writes that, “In India, the Mumbai terror attack has caught game developers' fancy in a big way,” before referencing a pair of games based on the tragedy.

Hang Kasab (pictured) is a simple game devoted to letting users attempt to lynch the sole surviving terrorist from the Mumbai incident as many times as possible, while Operation Mumbai is a more traditional web-based shooter that lets players blast away at terrorists.

Noting that these games, both developed by India’s 7seas Technologies Limited, have been played over 5 lakh (500,000) times, 7seas Managing Director L Maruti Shankar stated, “Gamers are playing this game at least once to show their patriotism.”

A more advanced game of the first-person shooter variety, named Terror Attack: Project Fateh!, was developed by a 14-year old Sai Shivam Gupta, who invoked a patriotic rallying cry in urging gamers to play his title. A message on the website for the game, which is also based on the Mumbai attack, reads, “The sole purpose of this game is to unite you all to stand up against terrorism. This is a war we need to win.”

At the end of the article, the author touches on the recent Medal of Honor controversy, rightly wondering why the EA game took so much flak while the Kuma War series of games, which are based on actual events from America's war on terror, “had no such problems.”

Comments

Re: Anti-Terror Games Allow Indians to Express Patriotism

I'm reminded of studies that showed a shift in media popularity by Americans following 9/11 - action movies suddenly became very popular again for example. I guess people feel a need to vent their frustration at the atrocious actions of terrorists, so it's at least better this way than them physically going out and lynching someone!

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am
ZenLet the ax fall Sleaker...lessons MUST be learned...08/20/2014 - 11:44am