New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

October 9, 2010 -

Salman Rushdie's latest book, Luka and the Fire of Life, was inspired by the world of video games, according to the author. Rushdie is best known for the book, The Satanic Verses, which brought the author big trouble. He was forced into hiding in England for over a decade after Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini issued a religious edict ordering Muslims to kill the him.

Rushdie's new book is a lot less controversial; he told the Associated Press that he wrote the book for his 13-year-old son. The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure. Rushdie said that he is writing his memoirs and has no plans yet to write another novel.

Source: AP

Posted in

Comments

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The him? The me is confused...

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The grammar and spelling in these articles seems to have taken a nose dive recently.

Maybe JT's taken over?

Oh wait, then the background would consist of a huge picture of his ugly-ass mug. Nevermind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

This one reads as if it was written by Borat.

The book, which releases this week, is a magical adventure . . . . . . . . . . . not.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Er..... dose not compute?

---

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I was gonna mention this, I didn't think Ayatollah Khomeini could see 9 years into the future :-p

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

The Satanic Verses was published in 1988, not 1998.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

You want fact-checking?! Slow your roll. Let's first get some proof-reading and spell-checking and then maybe -- just maybe -- we'll work our way up to checking facts.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Didn't he once scoff at the idea of games being considered art?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

People can change.  If he's had a change of heart, it's for the better and I welcome him to the bandwagon.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

I once accused him of being one of those people who believe that the book is the end-all-be-all of artistic expression, and that all of this newfound technology is nothing more than a fad. I suppose I was incorrect in my assessment, and would be glad to be.

Maybe he saw somebody playing Mass Effect 2?

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Let's not forget that he is still writing a book, he hasn't made a game. So it's not a though he has to believe that games as an artform, even if he does take some influence from them.

I personally see validity in the argument that games are not art. The closest I think I've seen would be Ico, Shadow of the Colloseus and Rez (but these would be visual art and comparable to films like Hero and House of Flying Daggers), but no game comes close to artforms like cinema and literature that explore emotions and issues.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

If so he likely changed his mind.

Re: New Salman Rushdie Book Inspired by Video Games

Wonder what could've done that.

Poll

Which video game platform are you most thankful for?:

Andrew EisenThe story you just linked to? The story you asked if anyone had seen? Yes, THAT obnoxiousness. I've heard it parroted for nearly two years now.11/27/2014 - 7:57pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: That shes an ex con man?11/27/2014 - 7:54pm
Andrew EisenI've heard the same obnoxious horse poo for years. It's nothing new.11/27/2014 - 7:45pm
ZippyDSMleeAlso anyone see this? http://guardianlv.com/2014/11/anita-sarkeesian-unmasked-feminist-icon-or-con-artist/11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
ZippyDSMleeEvil within is a badly designed game.11/27/2014 - 7:28pm
Andrew EisenSure but you said "widens," hence my confusion. Looking into it, yep, there's a tweak to completely re-frame the image, adding more info at the top and bottom. You apparently need a fairly beefy rig to keep it running smooth when you do that though.11/27/2014 - 6:48pm
Matthew Wilsonthere is vertical fov, not just horizontal fov11/27/2014 - 6:38pm
Andrew EisenWell, you can widen it to 3:1 or even 10:1 but I don't know why you'd want to. From what I understand it's the missing visual info at the top and bottom that some object to, not that there isn't enough on either side.11/27/2014 - 6:36pm
Matthew WilsonI think it widenss the fov, so you get to see more.11/27/2014 - 6:31pm
Andrew EisenI don't see how as doing so would not add any visual information to the top or bottom of the screen.11/27/2014 - 6:04pm
Matthew Wilsonfrom what I read, getting rid of the black bars and stretching it out made for a better play experience.11/27/2014 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenFrom what I hear, there's a ton of "look up and shoot at the guys above you" stuff in the game that the wider frame doesn't accommodate such actions well.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Andrew EisenHaving a game run in scope is not necessarily a bad thing but like any aspect ratio, you have to compose your shots correctly.11/27/2014 - 5:55pm
Neo_DrKefkaThe Evil Within was pretty bad and to make it worse the way the screen size made it hard for you to see even on a big screen it really hurt the game. Being Artistic is great but when you focus on art rather than what sells you run the risk of that happen11/27/2014 - 5:33pm
Matthew WilsonI kinda hope this is not true. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_might_not_be_making_more_gamecube_controller_adapters_at_the_moment11/27/2014 - 1:34pm
Matthew WilsonI saw that. I wish people would stop preording, but sadly that will never happen.11/27/2014 - 1:26pm
Papa MidnightUbisoft has cancelled the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed: Unity (http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2ni2ac/ubisoft_cancel_season_pass_for_ac_unity/)11/27/2014 - 1:08pm
NeenekoBut now I can use the christmas discount justification too,11/27/2014 - 11:46am
NeenekoI am also sorely temped by Civ:BE, mostly because I have a demo coming up and I know my productivity will tank.11/27/2014 - 11:45am
MaskedPixelanteThe Evil Within is only a month old, right? And it's already 66% off...11/27/2014 - 10:29am