Pittsburgh Ponders Impact Interactive Tax Credits Might Have

October 12, 2010 -

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania technology leaders are wondering if a state-wide tax credit for interactive developers would slow the flow of recent graduates to other states.

In a Post-Gazette story, Pittsburgh’s videogame community is attributed almost entirely to the Carnegie Mellon Entertainment Technology Center (ETC). Of the school’s 60 students gaming program graduates from the Class of 2010, only four found work and remained in Pittsburgh, while 15 headed west to California for employment.

The school’s ETC Director, Drew Davidson, said that he has met with state representatives multiple times over the years to lobby for game developer tax incentives, but that interest in such a program “goes in cycles,” and involves “so many different parties and different agendas."

It was posed that the situation was kind of a chicken and the egg scenario: “Are students moving because of tax incentives or because of the culture that the tax incentives have helped create?”

To aid in any future movement on the initative, the Pittsburgh Technology Council is conducting a local game industry census.

While economists “warn that a strapped Harrisburg is not the place to look for help” in achieving such incentives, a lot may depend on the outcome of this fall’s gubernatorial race, where game industry backers could gain a little leverage if Republican candidate Tom Corbett wins. His son is a student at the Entertainment Technology Center.

Comments

Re: Pittsburgh Ponders Impact Interactive Tax Credits Might ...

I want jobs in the Pittsburgh area as much as anyone, but I'm definitely not going to vote for Tom Corbett. Besides, the Democratic candidate, Dan Onorato, is actually *from* Pittsburgh. It would be nice to have a governor that didn't come out of Philly.

Spekkio, Master of war

Re: Pittsburgh Ponders Impact Interactive Tax Credits Might ...

While, being in philly, I guess I should be insulted... I don't think people in philly want a governer from philly either... ;p

Re: Pittsburgh Ponders Impact Interactive Tax Credits Might ...

Incentives would help, but PA has a more fundemental problem.  While the IGDA has tried to help, the companies here just don't talk to each other.  They tend to be less mainstream, tend not to have heard of eachother, and when an employie moves on they do not even know about local companies and thus move out of the area.

Conversly, any time they need to hire, they tend to have to go out of the area to find people since no one here is looking for them.   This causes a nasty retention cycle and lack of community.  Find a way to address that and I think local companies will do much better and you would start to see spin offs or startups.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm