File-Sharing, Copyright & Politics Serve as Muse for UK Musician

October 20, 2010 -

Indie musician Dan Bull isn’t afraid to take on politicians, fellow musicians or difficult subjects (such as file sharing and copyright). His latest music video, set the to the strains of Jay-Z’s Death of Auto-Tune, is entitled Death of ACTA, referring, of course, to the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

Full lyrics to the song, featuring lines such as “I'm just a citizen that's teaching you a lesson,
for restricting my freedom of expression, Yes, and deep packet inspection? squeeze that up your rectum, If your postman did that to you you'd be having him sectioned,” can be viewed on TechDirt.

The site also features a full profile of Bull, who is challenging the establishment’s view (that file sharing and copyright infringement takes money out of the mouths of artists) by releasing his songs for free—and still managing to make money.

Bull on what happened following the release of his video Dear Lily, and accompanying free song, which targeted Lily Allen, following her misguided rant against file sharing:

I made more money from music that week than I had in my entire musical career previously. I'd say it was split 50/50 between sales of my album, and donations from people who just wanted to show their appreciation. It goes to show that filesharers aren't cheapskates; they're happy to hand over a bit of cash if they know who it's going to.

Another Bull video, which can also be seen on TechDirt, targeted UK politician Peter Mandelson, the man that helped to enact the UK’s three-strikes law against file sharers.

Andrew EisenHackers hack Sony Pictures. Threaten to release data if their demands aren't met. Don't actually issue any demands. http://badassdigest.com/2014/11/24/sony-pictures-shut-down-by-hackers/11/24/2014 - 5:52pm
Wonderkarpi would watch that cause amc11/24/2014 - 5:06pm
MaskedPixelanteBreaking Bugs, new series now in development at AMC. A QA tester for a major game company loses his job when a game launches with major bugs and turns to cooking meth to get by.11/24/2014 - 5:03pm
WonderkarpStar Wars Spinoff is Heist Movie Maybe. Retcons Dark Forces http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/24/rumor-2016-star-wars-spin-off-film-is-a-heist-story11/24/2014 - 4:50pm
Wonderkarppersonally, I have no opinion other than the Ferguson Police used ridiculous amounts of force in that situation. Other than that, I wasnt there when it happened, I have zero idea what happened. so I cant say anything.11/24/2014 - 4:43pm
james_fudgeyeah :\11/24/2014 - 4:05pm
WonderkarpOh man. Grand Jury verdict coming from Ferguson11/24/2014 - 3:54pm
Wonderkarpits a nasty "Unable to locate DLC" bug, that affects PS4 owners because you cant redownload DLC without deleting your saved game. And the only way to play the game is to wipe your save. Hours wasted.11/24/2014 - 3:51pm
WonderkarpDay 7 of WWE 2k15's Game Breaking Bugs with no resolution. its as bad as the Halo Servers and Unity's Floating eyes/teeth11/24/2014 - 3:50pm
Wonderkarpgranted, looking for sage advice in youtune comments id like looking for ducks in a desert11/24/2014 - 3:34pm
Wonderkarpoh dearie me, im being harrased. wheres the colbert report when you need it! i need to plug my patreon because everything on the web is litterall11/24/2014 - 3:32pm
MonteEisen, Ya the 3D clone wars started out aweful, but it actually got really good in later seasons. Particularly AFTER Ahsoka grows up a bit and stops being annoying. I Liked how the series ended11/24/2014 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenI rather liked First Class but while most thought Future Past was pretty good, the trailers made it look awful and I haven't seen it yet. Come to think of it, I've only seen X-Men 1 and 2 and First Class.11/24/2014 - 3:22pm
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57310 The biggest shock here is that Bryan Singer is still attatched to direct.11/24/2014 - 3:18pm
Andrew EisenI'm a third from the top. (I stole that joke from a play I did years ago.)11/24/2014 - 3:12pm
MechaCrashUnfortunately, it is not worth the hassle to make another account named "Time" so I can post "haha, of course not" as a shout, but let's pretend I did. For art. And bad comedy.11/24/2014 - 3:11pm
MechaCrashWill our dear Mr. Hornets ever wonder why TvW videos have closed comments? Will he ask himself why anybody thought a GG blocklist needed to be made? Time will tell, my friends. Time will tell.11/24/2014 - 3:11pm
Wonderkarpwell i am a top. lol11/24/2014 - 3:10pm