Report: Sony Targeting German Buyers of PS3 Hack Device

October 20, 2010 -

According to admittedly loose translations, a shipment of dongles to be used for hacking the PlayStation 3 have been seized by customs officers in Germany, and now Sony is targeting the purchasers of the devices with cease-and-desist letters and threats of fines and litigation.

A forum user on the DC EMU UK forums (thanks SlashDot) translated an article on the German website Heise Online (Google translation) in order to disseminate the information. From the story, it seems Sony wants PS3 Break buyers to agree to no longer import, distribute or use any device that allows the PS3’s copy protection to be bypassed by signing a letter, which also gives Sony permission to destroy the devices.

If the person in question breaks the signed agreement, they could be at risk for penalties beginning at 5100€ (approximately $7,100 U.S.). Refusing to sign the cease-and-desist agreement could leave buyers open to litigation.

Such litigation, as noted by Heise Online, would most likely prove troubling for the PS3 Break users as:

It would be extremely difficult to prove in court that a special USB controller stick called "PS3 Break" does not circumvent the copy protection… for the PS3…

Comments

Re: Report: Sony Targeting German Buyers of PS3 Hack Device

Hey, Sony.  You know the MPAA and RIAA?  Have you noticed how they act, and what has happened to their public image as a result?  Lucky for them they don't have two major competitors, huh?  Yeah...  I'm just sayin'.

Re: Report: Sony Targeting German Buyers of PS3 Hack Device

Actually, both organizations have competition. They both compete with independent film and music respectively. These are film producers and musicians who are not represented by the MPAA and RIAA.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Report: Sony Targeting German Buyers of PS3 Hack Device

Yeah but in Sonys case, they constantly insult to injury in the face of competitors with already

superior public images.

Re: Report: Sony Targeting German Buyers of PS3 Hack Device

You do realize you shouldn't need to break the copyright of a fucking console, right? Its just that, a console, the only reason to do something like that is to do something illegal. Like modding your console, enabling hacks or being able to get all the stuff in the PS store for free. Seriously, we're not talking about songs that are sold for 0.99 cents online but absurdly expensive on CD. We're talking about an expensive peice of hardware.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm