“Cyber Junkie” Author Discusses Addiction

October 21, 2010 -

If you happen to live in the Michigan area, the Royal Oak Public Library will be holding a videogame addiction discussion on Thursday, October 28.

The chat will be headed up by Kevin Roberts, author of the book Cyber Junkie: Escaping the Gaming and Internet Trap. Roberts, who states that he has been “both gifted and challenged with ADHD,” is a self-proclaimed recovering “cyber junkie” himself, having “wasted years” of his life in front of a computer screen.

In the introduction to his book, Roberts stated that he doesn’t blame the videogame industry or the Internet for his past troubles, “I blame myself.”

Among the tips and information offered on his website, here is Roberts’ answer to the question, “What can I do to help the cyber addict in my life?

First of all, stop enabling. If any of your actions prevent the addicted person from experiencing the consequences of the addiction, you have to stop. If, for example, you have a 23-year-old son living in your basement who ‘can’t find a job’ but manages to game 10-12 hours a day, kick him out of the house.

Roberts on the topic of videogame addiction itself:

I think we have to get past the debate of whether or not video gaming is an addiction. Gaming is a problem if it negatively impacts a person’s social life, carrying out responsibilities, career or school. An excessive gamer is not always an addict.

Roberts, who offers help to addicts through support groups, will be selling and signing copies of his book at the Royal Oak Library event.

Comments

Re: “Cyber Junkie” Author Discusses Addiction

lol. Meatspace sucks. I'll be the first in line to beta test the Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 and join The Wired. The NHK won't hold me back!

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm