ECA VP General Counsel Talks Schwarzenegger v. EMA

October 22, 2010 -

ECA vice president and general counsel Jennifer Mercurio is the subject of this GameSpot Interview explaining just how the Schwarzenegger v. EMA will play out before the Supreme Court on November 2. One interesting fact that Jennifer points out is that the average case argued before the Supreme Court takes about an hour. That is a surprising fact, given that some of the most important issues in this country come before the court like the death penalty, First Amendment rights, gay marriage, civil rights, abortion, etc.

While some might argue that Schwarzenegger v. EMA isn't as important as those issues, I would say that having the ability to speak freely in this country - especially through artistic endeavors such as literature, films, music and video games - is the most important issue of our day. Without free speech, we are not truly a free nation.

Below is an excerpt from the interview:

GS: If they declare the law constitutional, what does that mean? Does it set a precedent for any state to make laws restricting game sales?

JM: If they declare the law constitutional, then the law stands and is enforceable in the state of California. It would set a precedent for the other 49 states to create similar laws and could push all 50 states to pass even more restrictive laws regarding video games and other violent content. In fact, it could set a completely new and sweeping precedent in the regulation of speech that was once presumed protected under the First Amendment.

Read the rest at GameSpot.

[GamePolitics is an ECA publication.]

Posted in

Comments

Re: ECA VP General Counsel Talks Schwarzenegger v. EMA

This is the most terrifying piece text I have ever read. The worst scennario would be the rest of the world following this path and is game over for adult videogame content.

I really hope that the SCOTUS won´t fall on the California´s bullshit hole that is this "law".

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: ECA VP General Counsel Talks Schwarzenegger v. EMA

Terrifying is a good word. The said thing is, despite it being appalling to people with common sense...these buffons, sycophants, and 'moral crusaders' will give thunderous applause. Tyranny of the majority by a minority. Some may accuse me of being melodramatic, but it is already happening.

I agree with you Mr Garcia. Hopefully SCOTUS is smart enough to see what this entails and sets the record straight with a single word to California: NO

====

James Fletcher, member of ECA Canada

Re: ECA VP General Counsel Talks Schwarzenegger v. EMA

I have been warning people about this for a long time since this case popped up and everyone called me a crazy lunitic and a sensationalist nut.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm