Iranian Government Backs Anti-Drug Game

October 25, 2010 -

As part of a bid to educate its youth about the dangers of drugs, the Iranian government will turn toward a wide range of cultural solutions, including development of an anti-drug videogame.

Iran’s Fars News Agency reports on the initiative, which will see The Institute for the Intellectual Development of Children and Young Adults, Iran's Drug Control Headquarters and the National Foundation for Computer Games collaborating on a solution.

Ahmad Esfandiari, head of Iran’s State Welfare Organization, stated, “When you intend to take something (drugs) away from children and young adults, you need to provide a substitute for them and nowadays video games are the best replacement.”

Esfandiari said that the idea for the anti-drug game was floated five months ago and was welcomed by his organization. He added, “The theme of preventing drug addiction has been implemented in this game through focusing on real life expertise.”

Fars added that Iran “leads international efforts in fighting drug networks and narcotic traffickers,” and that, thanks to its shared border with Afghanistan no doubt, the country “makes 85 percent of the world's total opium seizures.”

Comments

Re: Iranian Government Backs Anti-Drug Game

Don't forget the "fun."  It seems like everytime someone makes an educational game, or a game with a message, it's not an engaging experience.  You're not going to get your point across if kids don't want to play it.

I love the "leads international efforts" line, though.  Does Iran do anything "internationally?"  Even half the Middle East seems to hate them.

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm