Supreme Gamers?

October 26, 2010 -

While it may be difficult to imagine a Supreme Court Justice picking up a controller for a jaunt through Postal II, during the course of actions surrounding Schwarzenegger vs. EMA such a scenario is not totally out of the realm of possibility, at least according to the lawyer who will present the videogame industry’s side in front of the nation’s highest court next week.

In a story on the Schwarzenegger vs. EMA case appearing on the American Bar Association’s (ABA) website, it was noted that California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case. The game industry chose to submit a DVD with a “more diverse array of action,” including scenes from titles like Medal of Honor and Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six.

When hearing obscenity cases in the 1960s and 1970s, “some” Justices reportedly watched sexually explicit movies in order to be in tune with the issue, and in the 1990s, when Internet indecency was a hot topic, the Supreme Court Library demonstrated the series of tubes to the Court.

These historical precedents led to the following question being posed to Jenner & Block partner Paul M. Smith: “Will the justices themselves be plugging in a Play Station or Xbox to try some of the games?"

Smith answered, “It wouldn’t be shocking if they did a similar thing here.”

Comments

Re: Supreme Gamers?

From what I heard, the 5-minute footage was all Postal 2.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Its Postal 2, Manhunt 1, GTA VC and GTA SA, 25 to Life, Bully I think was also included and some other games I'm forgetting.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I´m also afraid that they will actually do that, with little bits of Manhunt and Rapelay and try to convince them that those are the most popular games avaliable on any WalMart.

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: Supreme Gamers?

This still seems duplicitous to me.

RE: "California submitted a DVD to the Supreme Court that featured five minutes of violent videogame footage, with the hopes that such footage would bolster its case."

Of which I'm sure multiple GTA footage is shown mixed in with Manhunt, Bully, and Hot Coffee and maybe even some RapeLay.

But hasnt the industry kind of taken care of itself already? I would rather see the Supreme Court see a DVD of the most violent 2010 game titles which in my opinion are considerably more tame than some of the older games.

I just dont want to see the Supreme Court get five minutes of a "hatchet job" of extremist titles from really old games.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Better yet, cut together a video that alternates between violent scenes in M-rated games and those in MA-rated TV shows and R-rated movies.  I'll see your Postal and raise you a Saw and a Human Centipede.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

I think that's exactly what's in order as a response. Remind the court of the fact that games are on par with films and TV, not guns and drugs.

Re: Supreme Gamers?

Ugh Human Centipede...I spent SOOO long trying to forget that movie.  Thanks for nothing Thad.

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenPM - Yep, that's the one.03/06/2015 - 12:53am
TechnogeekBest case, it was some marketing douchebag who thought they could pander to both sides at once.03/06/2015 - 12:49am
TechnogeekAlso, this was the mistake tweet: http://i.imgur.com/4eLWNHx.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:48am
TechnogeekBecause nothing says "open, diverse gaming community" like buddying up with Breitbart.03/06/2015 - 12:47am
Papa MidnightAndrew Eisen, I believe this is the picture that you seek: http://i.imgur.com/Gdk60pa.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:30am
Papa MidnightSurely, Goth_Skunk, you say that in jest?03/06/2015 - 12:28am
prh99Craig R. Cause quite a few of them are not, they're bullies with different politics.03/06/2015 - 12:23am
MechaTama31What was the "mistake" tweet?03/06/2015 - 12:18am
MechaCrashWhatever you say, Goth.03/06/2015 - 12:02am
E. Zachary KnightGoth, they could have fooled me.03/05/2015 - 11:16pm
Goth_SkunkI don't understand. GamerGate supports an open, diverse gaming community for all as well. Google's statement is contradictory.03/05/2015 - 10:59pm
TechnogeekAnd as far as the Card thing went, I basically balanced it out personal guilt-wise by donating an amount equal to the Shadow Complex purchase price to the ACLU.03/05/2015 - 9:44pm
TechnogeekWelp, look like the Gerberghazi crowd is going to have to use Bing now. https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/57365320825126093003/05/2015 - 9:42pm
Goth_SkunkAhh! I misinterpreted your statement about being left with almost every game in existence. I interpreted it as 'If you boycott games he's been involved with, you're boycotting almost all of them.'03/05/2015 - 9:31pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Card has been involved with only a small handful of games so if one were to boycott games for his involvement, they wouldn't be missing out on many games.03/05/2015 - 9:29pm
Goth_Skunk@Craig: Only if you're not interested in seeing it end.03/05/2015 - 9:27pm
Craig R.Instead of calling people the "anti gamergate faction", you could just call them "sane"03/05/2015 - 9:23pm
Goth_SkunkWhat do you mean 'almost every game in existence'? Card is a writer, not a game developer.03/05/2015 - 9:18pm
Andrew EisenBut I too wonder how many people who cry boycott actually follow through. I vaguely remember a few years ago a bunch of people boycotting one of the CoD games and were all found playing it on Steam.03/05/2015 - 7:53pm
Andrew EisenAn interesting quandary but not equivalent as boycotting games that Card was involved with leaves you with... well, almost every game in existence.03/05/2015 - 7:51pm