Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters During Campaigns, How Did They Fare?

November 3, 2010 -

During the run up to yesterday’s mid-term election, we profiled a few politicians that used web-based games or videogame-related images in order to either slam their opponent, or drum up interest in their own campaign. In some cases the games were even created by third parties not affiliated with either side in a race. Let’s check-in and see how these candidates did in yesterday’s elections.

One such Flash game created by a third-party featured New Mexico gubernatorial candidates Susana Martinez (R) and Diane Denish (R) in a fighting game that pitted one against the other. New Mexico KnockOut was created by a former resident of the state named Max Barnett, who said that the game was not intended to give either candidate an edge. Martinez won the election with 54% of the vote, becoming the state’s first female Hispanic governor ever.

In New York State, Republican candidate for governor, and veritable loose cannon, Carl Paladino, painted his opponent, Democrat Andrew Cuomo as Mario Jr. (a nod to Cuomo’s father Mario, the ex-Governor of New York) in a political flyer, claiming that “Andrew Has Been Playing the Albany Game for 30 Years.”  Cuomo easily outdistanced Paladino at the polls, gathering around 62 percent of the vote.

Out in Missouri, Congressman Russ Carnahan (D) used a Pac-Man-inspired online game, named Hackman, in order to attack his Republican opponent for the state’s 3rd Congressional seat, Ed Martin.  Carnahan appears to have retained his seat by the slimmest of margins, 48.9 percent to Martin’s 46.7 percent. Candidates who lose elections by less than one percent in Missouri can ask for recounts. While the margin was 2.2 percent, Martin is alleging voting irregularities however.

In California, the California Labor Federation funded perhaps the most impressive political game of the season with its Wall Street Whitman creation. The Flash game was developed in order to highlight the “pattern of economic destruction” left behind by Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman as she advanced her business career. Whitman lost her run for governor to Jerry Brown, who received about 54 percent of the vote.

Comments

Re: Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters ...

Sarah Palin = Bayonetta.

Re: Political Types Depicted in Games or as Game Characters ...

How so?  Other than both are female and both wear glasses, I'm not seeing the similarities.

Unless you're calling Palin a witch.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will an M rating hurt Batman: Arkham Knight's sales?:

MechaTama31I don't even want to know...02/27/2015 - 8:22pm
ZippyDSMleeFun? I can do fun…. I think LOL. Dungeons 2 is on preorder but not via steam... >> Hell I am breaking all kinds of personal butthurt rules to even THINK about pre order...02/27/2015 - 8:12pm
E. Zachary KnightHad some fun discussions about that dumb dress on Facebook. I opened the original picture in GIMP and sampled the colors and determined them to be Blue and Gold. People still say I am wrong.02/27/2015 - 7:41pm
ConsterTime for something completely different: #teamwhiteandgoldllama!02/27/2015 - 7:27pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I'll try. ^^02/27/2015 - 5:40pm
ZippyDSMlee james_fudge: That’s what I been doing damnit!! *bites your leg*. LOL All but a couple posts have been written in word 2010. This has had my full attention so I’ve been able to keep some consistency up today which is nice a shame it’s still gibberish ><02/27/2015 - 5:38pm
Andrew EisenLike I said, if you want to have a discussion or get a question answered, I'm more than happy to oblige. All I ask in return is you have enough respect for everyone else to take the time to compose a readable post.02/27/2015 - 5:35pm
ZippyDSMleeI suppose it would be poor of me to say this but thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions, it does help me every now and then to discuss things and update or refine my opinion on stuff.. I do miss the forums here….02/27/2015 - 5:31pm
james_fudgeYou could run it through Word :) It's not that hard.02/27/2015 - 5:30pm
ZippyDSMleeSomething’s I can be clearer on more simple constructs making me better understood. Stack my weaknesses with complex constructs and my bad sense of humor and ya it’s a mess.. Consistent clarity is a pain in the butt for me.02/27/2015 - 5:22pm
ZippyDSMleeHave I ever held a covnersion this long that dose not have issues?02/27/2015 - 5:18pm
ZippyDSMleeBetween being learning disabled and having “quirks” from 5th grade I communicate in streaming conscious, I derive information from written words out of order giving me issues revolving around context.02/27/2015 - 5:17pm
Andrew EisenYou're bullshitting. You can communicate clearly. I've seen you do it. If you want to have a discussion, fine. I'm more than happy to oblige but I'm not going to waste any more of my time if you insist on hiding behind the Zippy character.02/27/2015 - 5:15pm
ZippyDSMleeThose that walk the harsh path of grammar are blind to those that nibble upon it. Of course it helps incoherence is my friend…. LOL02/27/2015 - 5:14pm
Andrew EisenAgain, your comments make no damn sense.02/27/2015 - 5:10pm
ZippyDSMleeMabye if I put my brains in a blender I would think better...I dunno... LOL02/27/2015 - 5:09pm
ZippyDSMleequestion. God this is what I get for writing for the last 3 days…. to much over damn thinking….02/27/2015 - 5:07pm
ZippyDSMleeAndrew Eisen: I was going to say… the basis of feminism(and many things) is group opinion, because she is a part of the group how can she not be influenced by and be lost in whose opinion starts where…but I guess that’s more an existential general human 02/27/2015 - 5:06pm
ZippyDSMleeoy vay this palce hates Noscript I dunno if tis the post being copied from word or scrit issues but it will not let me post sometimes.02/27/2015 - 5:00pm
Andrew EisenYes, I am not portraying her as someone who does not use opinions in her various talks and presentations.02/27/2015 - 4:59pm