Oops: Square-Enix Editing COD Zombie Mode After All

November 4, 2010 -

In addition to being censored in Germany, Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops will be receiving a few trims for its release in Japan as well.

A few weeks ago, Square-Enix, who is distributing the title in Japan, announce that in order to comply with standards set by the CERO ratings board, it would be removing “all scenes of dismemberment and ‘expressions of brutality.’”  These cuts would apply to the both the subtitled and the dubbed versions of the game but the publisher promised that the zombie mode would remain untouched.

Turns out, that’s not the case.

Yesterday, with a bit of egg on its face, Square-Enix issued an apology along with its announcement that all swastikas in the zombie mode would be replaced with the Iron Cross (pictured).  However, this change only applies to the Windows and dubbed console versions of the game.  The subtitled console editions will keep the swastikas.

Um, okay...

Via: 1UP

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Correspondent Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Oops: Square-Enix Editing COD Zombie Mode After All

After watching Hellsing Ultimate OVAs series, all I can do is ask "why?"

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Poll