Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

November 11, 2010 -

Add the Land of Lincoln to the list of states following Schwarzenegger vs. EMA in order to see which side emerges a winner.

Earlier this month we told you about a Delaware politician looking to reintroduce anti-videogame legislation if California was to emerge victorious in its Supreme Court fight, now a Daily Herald story lets us know that an Illinois politician is preparing for the same outcome.

In 2005, an Illinois law that would have governed the sale of violent games, championed by then Governor Rod Blagojevich, was eventually declared unconstitutional by a U.S. District Court Judge.

State Representative Linda Chapa LaVia (pictured), a Democrat who has been in office since 2003, responding to whether she would revisit the Illinois law if SCOTUS rules for California stated, “Absolutely. I'd be more than interested to revisit it.”

Alexander Tsesis, Professor of Law at Loyola University Chicago, outlined the steps lawmakers would need to take to revisit the legislation:

Court appeal deadlines have long since run out on Illinois' video games law, Tsesis said. But if the court allowed, Illinois lawmakers might be able to start over and approve a new ban on selling adult games to minors based on the guidelines the justices handed down. Other states could do the same, too.

Comments

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

So lets say SCOTUS does rule the law is constitutional and states start to implement these retail restrictions, if really we would just be boosting the interest in digital distribution.

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

Perhaps but keep in find that future legislation could cover online sales and digital distribution too.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

If this passes violent games won't be sold in any stores in any state. Everyone would be too scared to make/sell them.

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

I doubt it get that far its to easy to toss everythign else in wif video games.Whats really sad is they are waiting to pass any new law that coems out despite reason and logic....

---