Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

November 11, 2010 -

Add the Land of Lincoln to the list of states following Schwarzenegger vs. EMA in order to see which side emerges a winner.

Earlier this month we told you about a Delaware politician looking to reintroduce anti-videogame legislation if California was to emerge victorious in its Supreme Court fight, now a Daily Herald story lets us know that an Illinois politician is preparing for the same outcome.

In 2005, an Illinois law that would have governed the sale of violent games, championed by then Governor Rod Blagojevich, was eventually declared unconstitutional by a U.S. District Court Judge.

State Representative Linda Chapa LaVia (pictured), a Democrat who has been in office since 2003, responding to whether she would revisit the Illinois law if SCOTUS rules for California stated, “Absolutely. I'd be more than interested to revisit it.”

Alexander Tsesis, Professor of Law at Loyola University Chicago, outlined the steps lawmakers would need to take to revisit the legislation:

Court appeal deadlines have long since run out on Illinois' video games law, Tsesis said. But if the court allowed, Illinois lawmakers might be able to start over and approve a new ban on selling adult games to minors based on the guidelines the justices handed down. Other states could do the same, too.

Comments

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

So lets say SCOTUS does rule the law is constitutional and states start to implement these retail restrictions, if really we would just be boosting the interest in digital distribution.

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

Perhaps but keep in find that future legislation could cover online sales and digital distribution too.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

If this passes violent games won't be sold in any stores in any state. Everyone would be too scared to make/sell them.

Re: Illinois Also Looking Closely at Schwarzenegger Outcome

I doubt it get that far its to easy to toss everythign else in wif video games.Whats really sad is they are waiting to pass any new law that coems out despite reason and logic....

---

Patreon

Deviantart

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm
Goth_SkunkBut such a hangout *could* be a neat idea. It could be used, for example, for all us GPers to get together and watch the new FemFreq video, and then discuss amongst ourselves in real time what our thoughts are.08/31/2015 - 8:38pm