Save The Planet in Fate of the World

November 16, 2010 -

A new game challenges players to save the entire planet. The strategy game, Fate of the World, charges players with trying to protect the world's climate and resources while managing a growing population demanding more power, food and living space.

"Fate of the World is a scenario-based game where you run Earth for 200 years and you save it or potentially destroy it. The whole power is in your hands," said the game's British creator Gobion Rowlands.

The player takes charge of a Global Environment Organization (GEO), which has the power to make decisions that affect the entire world. Cue New World Order music.. Players can impose policies such as banning logging in the Amazon rainforest, making all Europe's public transportation run on electricity, or enforcing a one-child policy on Asia.

The game tries to balance protecting the environment with the realities of life; for example, if you put a policy that mandates less births, then you may impact the number of workers you have.

Fate of the World was developed in partnership with academics working with Oxford University climate change expert Doctor Myles Allen. Naturally, the game has a slant towards the good doctor's beliefs on climate change.

A test version of the game is available now, with a full version planned for release in February. The French, Spanish and German versions will follow in March.

Comments

Re: Save The Planet in Fate of the World

The sad thing is, in the real world, we can't just ban harmful activities. Using natural resources only stops when it's no longer profitable to use them. With that being the case, and if the majority of scientists are right about global warming, there's no hope for the future, unless we're hoping for Earth to look like Venus.

Re: Save The Planet in Fate of the World

Banning logging in the Amazon rainforest?  How much of that actually even happens?  How about banning slash-and-burn farming in the Amazon rainforest?

Re: Save The Planet in Fate of the World

Indeed, slash and burn farming is the main problem in the Amazon.  Not sure if its GP or the game that got it wrong.

Poll