Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

November 19, 2010 -

Gamers in Georgia and Massachusetts are preparing to launch a pair of videogame-based charity drives to benefit Child’s Play.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts-based Geeks With Issues will take to a vintage Apple IIe and “endure” a 24-hour play session of Oregon Trail in order to raise funds for both Child’s Play and the Hillcrest Educational Centers. The event kicks off at noon on November 27 and can be viewed on the Geeks website and on Pittsfield Community Television’s Channel 18, which makes sense as the team consists of cast and crew from a local television show bearing the Geeks With Issues name.

Dubbed The Battle Against Dysentery III: Wagon Train of Destiny, the event raised $612 in its 2009 incarnation. This year’s goal is $5,000.

Geeks With Issues Director Chris Chamberland added, “This time, we’ll be trying to bring more local flair to the program, and draw in as much fun as we can.”

Meanwhile, farther south, four Georgia Tech students will be hosting the third annual 4/48 Zelda marathon in which participants will take on all the major releases from the Legend of Zelda series across a marathon gaming session.

Last year’s event lasted 41 hours. This year’s event kicks off on December 20 at 4:00 ET and will be broadcast live on the Zelda448 website.

Peter Sohl, the event’s coordinator, stated, “Those who tune in for the marathon will be able to chat with the team, and will have the opportunity to determine the games which will be played through their donations.”

Comments

Re: Oregon Trail and Zelda-based Charity Drives Upcoming

I wish all of these events the best of luck.

Andrew EisenGhostbusters! My favorite movie.11/22/2014 - 10:21pm
Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm