MP Watson: Decision to Kill Games Tax Relief “Reprehensible”

November 23, 2010 -

Pro-gaming MP Tom Watson still can’t believe the UK government reneged on a promise to deliver tax relief to the country’s interactive entertainment developers.

As detailed in the Independent, Watson a Labour MP representing West Bromwich East, used a gathering of game developers to call the coalition government’s decision to kill tax relief a “reprehensible decision based on ignorance.”

Watson said that the move will cost jobs, adding, “I just hope it doesn't break the industry.”

Continuing, the MP, who started his own Facebook group in order to champion games late last year, said:

MPs know we need exports and growth and the financial services industry are not going to plug the gap any more. Where are high school jobs going to be coming from in the future?

Prime Minister David Cameron, for his part, claimed that the tax initiative had to be scuttled because it “was not particularly successful or targeted.”

Comments

Re: MP Watson: Decision to Kill Games Tax Relief ...

This decision isn't reprehensible, but just business. Reprehensible would be, say, legislation allowing one person to own another for instance.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm