Report: Move, Kinect, May be in Short Supply for Holiday Shoppers

November 24, 2010 -

If you (or someone you can stand to be around during the holidays) is looking to get Kinect for Xbox 360 or Move for PlayStation 3, you all might be out of luck. Microsoft this week said that it is already seeing its motion sensing technology in short supply at some retail stores, and out of stock in others. Kinect launched on November 4 and has already managed to move 1 million units in various SKU's including standalone, with game bundles, and bundled with new Xbox 360 systems. Last week, Microsoft's Don Mattrick told consumers that getting a Kinect by Thanksgiving would be a wise idea because supplies were limited. He also predicted that Microsoft expects to sell more than 5 million units by year's end.

On the other side of the fence is Sony's PlayStation Move, which started out with one million units in retail last month at launch. The company is not saying how many units it has sold to date, but executives say that they underestimated the demand for the motion controller. In other words, expect demand to outstrip what units might remain at retail after big sale days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Peter Dille, Sony's senior vice president of marketing in the U.S., said in an interview that stores are running low on supplies of the PlayStation Move controller, and will probably be low through January in "all major territories."

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Report: Move, Kinect, May be in Short Supply for ...

Well, how predictable: New gadget, #1 spot on many people's wish lists, and only one day of the year for Christmas. Choice: Either raise prices so that no one buys it or run out of stock. I don't envy CEOs who have to deal with distributing specialized hardware for Christmas. - Left4Dead Why are zombies always eating brains? I want to see zombies that eat toes for a living. Undead-related pun intended.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm