Zogby: Consumers Prefer Buying Online

November 29, 2010 -

According to a new Zogby poll, 63 percent of adults in the United States would rather do all of their holiday shopping online than going to a local mall. Nearly 64 percent said that they plan to make the bulk of its holiday purchases online this year.

While the data is interesting, it's not all that different from a similar poll conducted last year by Zogby. In 2009 61 percent preferred exclusively shopping on the Internet, 23 percent said they would rather shop at the mall, and 69 percent said they planned to purchase holiday gifts online.

On the other hand, even though 86 percent say they have made online holiday gift purchases in the past, 31 percent prefer to do all their shopping at the mall this year, and 22 percent do not plan to buy any gifts online at all

We will see if this poll data pans out for online retailers after the holiday shopping season is over.

More details on methodology can be found here.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Zogby: Consumers Prefer Buying Online

Well, if you buy online, you don't have to worry about being trampled to death by other shoppers. But I doubt this poll is true.

Re: Zogby: Consumers Prefer Buying Online

if the poll was an online one that may have effected the results a little.

Re: Zogby: Consumers Prefer Buying Online

That and Zogby's not the most reliable polling source.

That said, while I'm willing to guess their numbers are off a few points, I find it very easy to believe most people would rather shop online than fight traffic and crowds.  Lord knows I would.

Re: Zogby: Consumers Prefer Buying Online

From persoanl experience I'd say you're right.

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am