The Power of the PS3

November 30, 2010 -

The U.S. Air Force is set to unveil a $2 million super computer comprised primarily of PlayStation 3's on Wednesday. Called its fastest super computer to date, the new system has been codenamed "the Condor Cluster" by the Department of Defense.

Researchers at the Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio used off-the-shelf PlayStation 3's and traditional graphical processing computer components to create the system. The Condor Cluster will reportedly be used for radar enhancement and recognition capabilities, according to the Air Force.

The Air Force added that the $2 million price tag is about 10 - 20 times cheaper than what it would normally cost to build such a system.

Source: UPI

Comments

Re: The Power of the PS3

In the original article it states that they got Sony ship them old PS3, because the lack of Other-OS on the Slim one.

--- Maurício Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

--- Maurício Gomes twitter.com/agfgames

Re: The Power of the PS3

Guess they made a deal with Sony regarding the no Other-OS thing that really bugged them.

Re: The Power of the PS3

bah, otherOS was never really gone anyway. it's your hardware, use it the way you want.

Re: The Power of the PS3

Their original concern was that any time a member of the cluster would require repairs/replacements, they'd end up without the ability to run another OS. >_> Guess they convinced Sony to give them PS3s that still allow it.

Re: The Power of the PS3

but will sony sue them for hacking it and claim damages for losses in software sales? (every console not used as a gaming platform wont have games bought for it)

PHX Corphttp://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/04/assassins-creed-chronicles-china-review/ anyone seen this04/26/2015 - 4:19pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.destructoid.com/director-del-toro-says-silent-hi… Can not say I am surprised sadly. I feel bad for del Toro because every time he tries to do a video game project it falls apart.04/26/2015 - 1:42pm
Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm