Analyst: Walmart Selling Used Games in 500 Stores

December 3, 2010 -

According to a report on Joystiq, approximately 500 Walmart stores in the United States have started stocking used games in-store and Walmart.com is now offering them online. Joystiq cites a recent report from Lazard Capital Markets' Colin Sebastian, who in turn points to "industry checks" that reveal the data.

Walmart announced that it planned to sell used games in-store this year, along with a trade-in program. In his report, Sebastian said that Walmart would focus on "deep value end of used games" (under $20), meaning less overlap with competition like GameStop. Sebastian added that if Walmart can maintain a focus on cheaper games, the retailer could "ultimately expand the market for used games."

Source: Joystiq

Comments

Re: Analyst: Walmart Selling Used Games in 500 Stores

Wait, I'm still not quite sure what that means, by focusing on seliing games for under $20. Are they going to sell most used games, even those that normally retail at $30-40 used, for under $20, or are they just going to stick to selling the ones that normally retail at $20 used?

Cause that makes a big difference, since the latter will seriously limit their used-game library. Then again, Walmart has always had a limited library when compared with game stores like Gamestop. So regardless of price, I don't see Walmart as a major competitor in the cybernatography market, new or used.

Re: Analyst: Walmart Selling Used Games in 500 Stores

I hope it dose even if I hate walmart we need more price wars on game prices peroid.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

james_fudgeNM I'll just ask them directly :)07/28/2015 - 3:19pm
james_fudgeWhen i did that interview with that former GG person, I knew their identity.I am just curious if TR does or if this is an "on faith" (from other people) interview.07/28/2015 - 3:18pm
Andrew EisenDaugette said on Twitter he did and the article itself says TR editors did. That's all I know. Not familiar with any of these people. My familiarity with TR is only what Goth and other readers have linked.07/28/2015 - 3:16pm
james_fudgeOr did they take the word of GG's most vocal supporters?07/28/2015 - 3:14pm
james_fudgeDid TechRaptor verify it?07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeThat's not good enough for me. Look who verified it.07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeHold on a second.07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeThank you Andrew07/28/2015 - 3:11pm
james_fudgemy bad!07/28/2015 - 3:11pm
Andrew EisenHere's the aforementioned tweet: https://twitter.com/TheRealRutledge/status/62583949852243558507/28/2015 - 3:06pm
Andrew EisenThird paragraph: "...TechRaptor editors have confirmed he is a AAA developer." Also, Rutledge Daugette, TR's founder, said the same on Twitter (in a conversation I was tagged into for some reason).07/28/2015 - 3:04pm
james_fudgehas anyone verified that this is an actual game developer? TR doesn't say they did.07/28/2015 - 2:55pm
Goth_SkunkThe Interview with TechRaptor comes as a result of a wordpress blogpost titled "The Oppressed Rulers of the Games Industry": http://ow.ly/QchfG07/28/2015 - 2:26pm
Goth_SkunkNext, by TechRaptor: Culture of Fear: Interview With a AAA dev: http://ow.ly/Qch8I07/28/2015 - 2:25pm
Goth_SkunkFirst: Gender prevalence in video games. An infographic. https://imgur.com/QwjTwT207/28/2015 - 2:23pm
Goth_SkunkGot a couple links coming up.07/28/2015 - 2:22pm
Andrew EisenAdditionally, better-than-Twitch quality videos will be available after the event.07/28/2015 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenFor anyone frustrated by the crappy sound of the SGDQ YouTube videos, I spoke to GDQ Director of Ops Matt Merkle and he told me that the sound issues that plagued earlier videos have been resolved.07/28/2015 - 1:10pm
PHX Corphttp://www.polygon.com/2015/7/27/9050375/street-fighter-5-beta-offline-delayed Street Fighter 5 beta taken offline, now postponed indefinitely07/27/2015 - 9:51pm
Goth_Skunk@eZeek: Noooooooooo.... ;)07/27/2015 - 8:44pm