Ubisoft's Special Michael Jackson: The Experience Piracy Feature

December 6, 2010 -

An interesting anti-piracy mechanism is in place for Michael Jackson: The Experience for DS. If you use a pirated copy of the game, a defense mechanism kicks in that assails you with taunts and tortures you with the irritating sounds of the vuvuzelas.

"The development team worked this feature in as a creative way to discourage any tampering with the retail version of the game," a representative of Ubisoft told Wired.com in an e-mail Friday.

YouTube user ctkxtreme posted a video (seen to the left) documenting exactly what happens, offering the following comments: "This is Ubisoft’s attempt at anti-piracy to the game. The game is an [Elite Beat Agents] clone, and there’s no notes playing, it freezes when it’s paused, and fucking vuvuzela noises over the music."

Source: Game | Life

Posted in

Comments

Re: Ubisoft's Special Michael Jackson: The Experience ...

If anything, this is the RIGHT way for piracy to be combated. I have no problem whatsoever with games made unplayable when one attempts to tamper and pirate them. What I have a problem with is when a game is bought appropriately and is untampered with and yet is made unplayable by their legal users. Ubisoft should do this with their PC games instead of the broken "always online" DRM that they use currently. Maybe then I would buy Ubisoft PC games.

I'm also reminded of some similar anti-piracy featured in Batman: Arkham Asylum. There is a pirated version distributed by the publisher that makes the game's play control horrible. Things like being unable to jump properly and other key gameplay factors are adjusted to the point of fusturation. Again, this is how piracy should be combated. Pirates should be pranked and made fools of while paying customers are treated with appreciation.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm