Ubisoft's Special Michael Jackson: The Experience Piracy Feature

December 6, 2010 -

An interesting anti-piracy mechanism is in place for Michael Jackson: The Experience for DS. If you use a pirated copy of the game, a defense mechanism kicks in that assails you with taunts and tortures you with the irritating sounds of the vuvuzelas.

"The development team worked this feature in as a creative way to discourage any tampering with the retail version of the game," a representative of Ubisoft told Wired.com in an e-mail Friday.

YouTube user ctkxtreme posted a video (seen to the left) documenting exactly what happens, offering the following comments: "This is Ubisoft’s attempt at anti-piracy to the game. The game is an [Elite Beat Agents] clone, and there’s no notes playing, it freezes when it’s paused, and fucking vuvuzela noises over the music."

Source: Game | Life

Posted in

Comments

Re: Ubisoft's Special Michael Jackson: The Experience ...

If anything, this is the RIGHT way for piracy to be combated. I have no problem whatsoever with games made unplayable when one attempts to tamper and pirate them. What I have a problem with is when a game is bought appropriately and is untampered with and yet is made unplayable by their legal users. Ubisoft should do this with their PC games instead of the broken "always online" DRM that they use currently. Maybe then I would buy Ubisoft PC games.

I'm also reminded of some similar anti-piracy featured in Batman: Arkham Asylum. There is a pirated version distributed by the publisher that makes the game's play control horrible. Things like being unable to jump properly and other key gameplay factors are adjusted to the point of fusturation. Again, this is how piracy should be combated. Pirates should be pranked and made fools of while paying customers are treated with appreciation.

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am