ECA Call to Action: Net Neutrality

December 7, 2010 -

The Entertainment Consumer Association sent out an alert this afternoon to its members urging them to write the Federal Communications Commission to tell them that America wants the net neutrality promised by the president during his campaign.

The ECA objects to the plan proposed by the FCC because it gives too many concessions to interest groups and service providers, excludes wireless providers from any new rules, and gives providers a green light to start using tiered pricing models based on the amount of bandwidth / data used. The ECA has set up a "call to action" page here.

Below is the complete letter from Brett Schenker, Online Advocacy Manager for the ECA:

"On December 21, the FCC will meet and it's reported that FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski will outline his Net Neutrality proposal with a vote before the end of the year. Instead of the preservation of a neutral internet where traffic is treated equally, we have that the proposal would:

* Require wired broadband providers to let subscribers access all legal content, applications, and services with the flexibility to manage network congestion and spam as long as they publicly disclose their network management approach.

* Allow broadband providers to experiment with dedicated networks to route traffic from specialized services like smart grids and home security systems as long as they don't hurt the public internet.

* Permit tiered pricing.

This is not a 'neutral internet.' This is changing the definition of Net Neutrality and declaring "mission accomplished."

Write the FCC now and tell them we won't stand for this bait and switch.

Net Neutrality was promised by President Obama upon his election. This is not Net Neutrality. We need to speak up to make sure we get the law of the land we were promised. Write to the FCC today!

[GamePolitics is an ECA publication.]

Comments

Re: ECA Call to Action: Net Neutrality

Somehow I get the impression that "Butbutbut it was a CAMPAIGN PROMISE!" isn't really going to hold much weight with the administration.

Re: ECA Call to Action: Net Neutrality

Does it ever? A politician holding to their promises is as likely as us getting off of oil dependency before it all runs out. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm