The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

December 9, 2010 -
An Israeli modder is recreating a real-world uprising at Auschwitz that took place in October 1944 via a mod called Sonderkommando Revolt. The mod, built on top of the Wolfenstein 3D game port, Wolf4SDL, Sonderkommando Revolt sends players on a killing spree against Nazi officers in the infamous concentration camp.

Sonderkommando were groups of workers (prisoners) who helped dispose of those killed in the camp. They were never directly involved in the killing of other prisoners. The uprising referred to in the mod happened after the camp's resistance group successfully blew up one of the crematoriums. From Wikipedia:

"When the camp resistance warned the Sonderkommando that they were due to be murdered on the morning of October 7, 1944, they attacked the SS and Kapos with axes, knives, and home-made grenades. Three SS men were killed, including one who was pushed alive into a crematorium oven; and some prisoners escaped from the camp for a period. They were recaptured later the same day. Of those who did not die in the uprising itself, 200 were forced to strip, lie face down, and then were shot in the back of the head. A total of 451 Sonderkommandos were killed on this day."

Naturally the mod will take liberties with history, instead turning the player (playing as Auschwitz prisoner Zalmen Gradowski) into a Nazi killing machine. The game's ModDB page calls the first title part of a trilogy of mods about prisoner uprisings in other caps including Warsaw, Poland and Treblinka.

More information about the mod can be found here. Thanks Kotaku and Rodrigo Ybáñez García.

Comments

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

IS this  for RTCW or wolfenstine(08)

---

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

For better or worse America loves Israel so you will not be seeing any controversy over this, I guarantee you.

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

How long until Yeland Lee or Fox News start to claim that 5 years old children can get this game on WalMart?

------------------------------------------------------------ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

Vegas has the line at 2 months. I'm taking the under and the points.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

As controversy bait goes, this is pretty ingenious -- anyone who criticizes the game will be accused of siding with the Nazis.

Re: The Deathcamp Mod: Sonderkommando Revolt

Huge "death camp video game" controversy starting in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm