John Kerry Urges FCC Dems to Support Net Neutrality

December 9, 2010 -

Sen. John Kerry (D-Ma.) is urging Democrats at the Federal Communications Commission to vote for Chairman Julius Genachowski's net neutrality proposal on December 21. The former presidential candidate and long-time Massachusetts Senator wrote a letter to Democratic Commissioners at the FCC saying that they should support it, despite it not being perfect.

"Some advocates for what we consider to be 'the perfect' are now urging you to fight and vote against the good. I would argue that is short sighted," Kerry wrote in a letter to FCC Commissioners Mignon Clyburn and Michael Copps, both Democrats.

Kerry is the chairman of the Senate Communications subcommittee. He said he would support the proposal with some reservations if he were a commissioner.

"While an outright ban on the ability of network owners to act as gatekeepers in any way may be what we would prefer, if the proposed rule can empower the agency, advocates, engineers, and the media to police practices that could threaten innovation or speech at the edge of the network then we should embrace it," he said.

Commissioners Copps and Clyburn may want stronger protection for consumers than what FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski proposed last week.

The Democratic commissioners have until December 21 to suggest and adjust the chairman's proposal. The FCC's two Republican commissioners will not support the proposal.

Source: The Hill

Comments

Re: John Kerry Urges FCC Dems to Support Net Neutrality

NO Kerry No. What the FCC is voting for is not Net Neutrality, its gives the corperations all they want and screw the consumers over with it. We want real Net Neutrality not this crap.

MattsworknameBIG: how does that make sense?08/05/2015 - 12:18am
Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm