Republican FCC Commissioners Oppose Net Neutrality Plans

December 9, 2010 -

Republican Federal Communications Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker and fellow Republican Robert McDowell are already voicing their opposition to FCC chairman Genachowski's net neutrality proposal, set for a vote at the agency's next meeting on December 21. The biggest complaint of the two commissioners is that the chairman is not putting the proposal out for public comment.

"I’m afraid we are endangering a really important agenda. . . by pushing forward with a partisan, big-government regulatory issue that has no immediate need for us to act," Baker told Politico earlier this week. "We’re still in our preliminary assessment as to what it says, what it does, what the implications are, which is another reason why McDowell and I say it should be put out for comment," Baker said. "For something this major, we’re trying to figure out what the implications are."

On Monday, Baker's staff discussed ways to express her criticism of the Net neutrality plan. Baker may write several op-ed pieces in the two weeks leading up to the agency's meeting and find ways to reach out to media.

A senior (unnamed) FCC official told Politico that "the draft order was circulated to all of the commissioners a full three weeks in advance of the vote, a courtesy that Chairman Genachowski has consistently extended. I'm sure that Commissioner Baker can appreciate hard-working FCC staff burning the midnight oil—that's exactly what it took to get a draft order circulated. We are particularly perplexed by Commissioner Baker's call for yet more time, given that it took her less than 24 hours to read the order and publicly declare her flat opposition to the proposal."

Meanwhile, McDowell is also working on a strategy to express his concerns about the latest proposal.

"Commissioner McDowell has been speaking and writing about net neutrality issues for several years now – beginning with his dissent on the ‘open access’ component in the 700 MHz Order in July 2007," said Angela Giancarlo, McDowell’s chief of staff and senior legal advisor. "It's a safe bet that he will continue to do so."

Source: Politico

Comments

Re: Republican FCC Commissioners Oppose Net Neutrality Plans

this latest proposal is a sham and genachowski is a failure for even bringing it up.

Re: Republican FCC Commissioners Oppose Net Neutrality Plans

The only reason these guys oppose it is because they're Republicans who want a hands-off, let corporations screw everybody approach.

They believe in "free market" solutions when there is in fact no free market.

Re: Republican FCC Commissioners Oppose Net Neutrality Plans

I hate to say this but I agree with them. This NN framework is the weakest possible and caters exclusively to the duopoly providers that are quite literally the gatekeepers of the Internet. The headline is misleading though.

Honestly I think after all the big talk Genachowski just wants to get something out there, no matter how crappy it is.

I think we are better off with nothing than with this mess he calls NN. Wait for the ISPs to step over the line then regulate if necessary. After watching the FCC at work I have totally flipped my position on this. No NN until the ISPs make it necessary.

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am